Let's talk about Reflection Therapy!

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
stratcat

Let's talk about Reflection Therapy!

Post by stratcat »

I may have done some testing. I previously mistakenly thought that reflection grants you a bonus to XP on each pulse - as in if you put 500 xp in your bucket, you will collect 550 xp total. It seems that what it actually does is let you pull out more XP out of the bucket with each pulse, draining the bucket faster and letting you collect your XP faster. So if you put 500 xp in the bucket, you're still going to pull out 500 xp, only a bit sooner than you would without reflection. That's useful for speeding up leveling (if you're willing to do the extra grind), but it also gives you less downtime for RP and whatnot.

Personally, now that I've learned about it, I'm going to feel less inclined to go seek out reflection therapy from a physicker. I'm already grinding a good bit, and the perspective of getting a buff that lets me spend even more time grinding is... eh. I'd much rather the thing worked so that you get more bang for the same effort. I'd much rather have more downtime rather than less.

What do others think?
Rias
DEV

Re: Let's talk about Reflection Therapy!

Post by Rias »

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on this as well. I think I'm good with either.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Xandrea

Post by Xandrea »

Personally this is exactly how I like it. If I really want to go into grinding then this makes it worth my while. Especially when it's later in the day and there's less people to find an excuse to bother. Else I'd be needing to sit around a lot longer with even less to do. Sure when I was grinding up my Berserker it didn't matter. I had to raise my skill so my bucket was essentially always topped off.

I find getting XP is rather easy, it's the drinking up the bucket part that has me twiddling my thumbs. If it gets changed to just earning more xp for your buck then It'll give me less reasons to pay a physicker for services, as I'm not usually getting hurt and killing a few infested will top up your xp if you've already completed available tasks.

Now on the flip side, adding a therapy that increases the bucket size but, is purposefully incompatible with reflection therapy that would be nice. Then the people whom top up their bucket have more downtime to play with. (That is so long as they're not worrying about it so much when it empties.)
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I think the proposed idea was that each drip from the bucket would give you a bit more when it does drip, not that the bucket would fill faster.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

Xandrea wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:12 am Now on the flip side, adding a therapy that increases the bucket size but, is purposefully incompatible with reflection therapy that would be nice. Then the people whom top up their bucket have more downtime to play with. (That is so long as they're not worrying about it so much when it empties.)
I kinda like that, the ol' YOLO therapy. There's a time to reflect on your actions, and there's another time to run out and experience more than you usually do. Not sure how OP that may end up being, but I could see it as the other side of the same xp related coin.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

I could see there being ample demand for a therapy that temporarily increases bucket size that can't interact with reflection. Though that might make for some odd situations where someone requests therapy then immediately ducks out to do tasks or whatnot.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Having it grant bonus XP instead of draining faster gives the same total amount of XP with the added boon of more down time, it would make reflection therapy better and I'm not really seeing a downside.
Edoras

Post by Edoras »

I also like this idea.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

I'm a fan, mostly because I'd rather have a little more downtime than less myself.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Xandrea

Post by Xandrea »

I'm in the opposite camp. Hence why I'd rather have two different therapies. One for more downtime and one for less. If it were up to me there would never be downtime but, this is why I'm not in charge lol
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?