Physicker (was "Medic") Guild

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Rias
DEV

Physicker (was "Medic") Guild

Post by Rias »

First of all, the name "Medic Guild" is following a boring trend I've set and seems somehow worse than the others so far, and I just want it to be known that I hope to give it a better name after more thought. Feel free to post suggestions here.

So, the Medic Guild has been temporarily placed by the infirmary in Shadgard. Its facilities are extremely bare, consisting of little more than an NPC recruiter and a room to get training and abilities in. As might be expected, the Medic Guild can train the Medic skill all the way up to 700 (the cap).

Current abilities:
- Medic Basic Certification: Allows one to use the MEDICAL command to go on-duty in infirmaries.
- Medical Suture: The ability to use the SUTURE command and sew up those gaping flesh wounds.

Got ideas for abilities and facilities? Post them on this board, because I'll totally forget them if you tell me about them through DMs/PMs.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rilulth

Re: Medic Guild

Post by Rilulth »

Herb lore - The ability to STUDY or EXAMINE a foraged or grown herb/plant and know it's basic medical properties.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

I would propose "Physic" (pronounced fiz-ik) Guild. It's an old-timey term for a physician or person who practices medicine and the art of healing.

If dictionary.com is an accurate source (it probably isn't) the term originated as early as the year 1250, whereas "medic" is a term that came into popularity later, in the early 1400s. They are technically the same and likely would have been used interchangeably sometimes, but Physic was used more often to describe people who practiced natural medicine over more modern and progressive medicine (for the time).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Physicker Guild, maybe? I always did like that word's usage in more old-timey works.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Keleran

Post by Keleran »

There could be an annex to the brewery to make specific alcohols for cleaning wounds, and with a lab to extract the healing properties of herbs. Another annex to the infirmary where more complicated surgeries are performed.
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

This is really cool stuff! I can finally hire a real surgeon for my crew.