Arcanist-only: Glyph: `shaol` (levitate object)

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Rias
DEV

Arcanist-only: Glyph: `shaol` (levitate object)

Post by Rias »

Arcanists have a new exclusive glyph: `shaol` (Levitate Object). Check out the details in-game or on the wiki: https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... te_object)

Some people requested the Floating Disk spell popular across various games, but I thought this would be a little more interesting and have a tad more utility. Not only can you float a backpack around as a storage container, but you can float any object you're capable of picking up that's 50 pounds or less. Might be handy to float a light source along with you, for instance, rather than fiddle with Distyr. Or be that odd duck who goes about with a floating lump of charcoal following you around, like I was doing in testing. Maybe some other utility possibilities will come up for floating items around - we'll see. Whatever the case, at the very least it's handy for extra non-encumbrance storage.

Other notes:
- It's mentioned in various places in-game, but for total clarity: The owner can DISMISS the item to cause it to stop levitating.
- Only the owner of the levitated item can take/put contents (if the item is a container).
- Like other glyphs, anyone can make use of a diagram with this glyph. Draw it for your friends, charge people and make a tidy profit, all that fun stuff. (Seriously though, charge people. Keep the economy alive.)
- The levitated item will disappear with you when you log out and return when you log back in, so no worries there.
- There is currently not a time limit, but I'm thinking I'll probably add one. Though it'll be fairly lengthy.
- Only one item can be levitated at a time.

Lastly: this kind of thing has all sorts of bug potential as it involves some completely new coded systems and is a utility sort of "workaround" spell, so please please report issues. I've already thought of three unintended loopholes it could cause while writing this up, which I will be patching shortly.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Re: Arcanist-only: Glyph: `shaol` (levitate object)

Post by Lexx416 »

Now we just need a Fortourgy glyph of "minor animation" and a three way divider for circles so Arcanists can create Dancing Swords and Shields!
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
nobody

Post by nobody »

cogg wrote:You walk over to a small [censored] occult circle, stopping to stand within its boundaries.
The air around a small [censored] occult circle shimmers momentarily.
A small campfire bundle vibrates in your hand for several moments before shaking from your grip to levitate nearby!
You light a small campfire bundle (levitating) with some firestones.
You head south.
A lit campfire (levitating) floats into the area.
You cackle!
1. I have the best job in the game. Just the best. Thank you.
2. I dunno if I'm supposed to be able to levitate a campfire, but I love it sooooo much. (I'm gonna bankrupt a certain giganti >:))

And edit to add: 3. I now really want to suggest an advanced arcanist technique to have an on-going effect draw power from a campfire instead of from the arcanist. When the campfire goes out, the effect ends.
Last edited by nobody on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

...that's bloody amazing
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

There have been some updates to levitating items acquired via the `shaol` glyph, so I thought I'd post them here to help make everyone aware.

The messaging for levitating items following their owners will now be appended to the standard movement messaging rather than show on a separate line.
Hooray for a little less spam!

It is now possible for the owner of a levitating object to pick the object up and otherwise interact with it as normal. Returning the object to a room's contents (via dropping, transferring, etc.) will cause it to resume levitating and following as long as the owner is in the room at the time.

The 'my' and 'notmy' targeting arguments will now consider a levitating object's association to its owner.

Levitating items will now lose their levitation effect after several hours. The expiration timer will continue counting down even if the character is logged out, but the actual expiration will not occur until the owner is logged in (immediately, if the expiration is up by the time of the next login). When the expiration occurs for items that are levitating in the room near their owner, the owner will automatically try to pick up, stow, or wear the item to avoid it being accidentally left behind. In the case that the owner has no hands free, nowhere to stow the item, and nowhere to wear the item, they will receive a message reminding them to retrieve the item. This should help Arcanists be sought out a little more often for this service, rather than perform it once and then that person is set forever unless they accidentally overburden their levitated item.

ALSO, FOR THOSE WHOSE LEVITATED ITEMS HAVE GONE MISSING AS THESE UPDATES HAVE BEEN ROLLED OUT:

The missing item should float on back to you upon your character's next login. If they're already logged in, use the LOGOUT command and just log back in as them.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

I actually apreciate this change, as my duelist would just be a walking food and leather repair despensory with her floating bag. It was starting to feel a little less realistic as it was intended to, because even with 15 pieces of meat, a good spool of thread and an awl, needle and hammer, i still had room for a good 1,000 to 2,000 riln in there, meaning I basically didn't have to deal with encumbrance. As much as I don' tmiss having to ballance out lots of gear for encumbrance, I'll admit there's ways around it, a few ways i myself have started to spread around, so it's not the end of the world.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hello! As there is now a time limitation on the duration of shaol, would it be possible to increase the limit of the number of items one can 'shaol' at a time based on the total weight of items affected at once? To prevent obscene bloat in Item Followed Character, you could place limits on the number of items based on skill in arcana. It would be a great use of this ability that would be more relevant with multiple smaller items (like hurled items, such that one might not lose them anymore). This will also make Arcanists be sought out a little more for this service.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."