New Arcanist glyphs: `cosir` (luminous diagram) and `fathys` (warmth diagram)

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Rias
DEV

New Arcanist glyphs: `cosir` (luminous diagram) and `fathys` (warmth diagram)

Post by Rias »

After seeing some of the wonkiness going on with hidden lanterns and campfires and the like, and then the fix to prevent those from being hidden (which gave the unintended benefit of being janitor-proof and unlikely to be tampered with while also giving their light and/or warmth effects), this seemed like the ideal time to give the Arcanist some handy related utility with two new glyphs:

- Glyph: `fathys` (Warmth Diagram) - A stationary room-warmer to give people a place to rest and warm up in those cold areas - no firewood or firestones required!
- Glyph: `cosir` (Luminous Diagram) - A stationary light source that lasts a decent amount of time.

Multiple instances of these diagrams can be made by an Arcanist (one per room). However, we've long ago learned the lesson of "if players can, someone will." So, each active diagram comes with an associated reduction of maximum energy for the one who drew the diagram (even if someone else activated it). This is to prevent dark/cold areas from becoming potentially permanently nullified by these glyphs. As always, feedback is welcome and tweaking of the numbers will likely occur.

As a note: The original plan was to require these glyphs to only be effective when paired with a "persisting" glyph in a more complex diagram, and thus Arcanist-only because it'd require more than a two-glyph diagram. I wanted to get this out sooner than later though, so for now we have the easy-peasy version. They will likely be updated at a later time to require the "persisting" glyph that would cause the diagram to persist after activation rather than go poof upon activation as other diagrams do. For now we'll just sort of assume Arcanists are doing something like this already in the name of "get these things released in a reasonable time rather than being delayed for a new diagram mechanic."

While relatively simple in effect, I think these will help Arcanists start feeling some progress along their path to becoming the ultimate masters at occult utility!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Re: New Arcanist glyphs: `cosir` (luminous diagram) and `fathys` (warmth diagram)

Post by Teri »

Cosir is currently not decreasing max energy (bug report written for that)
Initial feedback: Once Cosir is activated, it can be stepped in and out of, meaning other drawn glyphs need to be targeted as 'go circle 2, 3 and 4' and so on. I was able to draw three of them in the same room, because I was curious if I could draw more than one of course. Could be troublesome for people drawing glyphs afterwards for targeting. Super neat to have. I'm curious if the approximate duration is based on arcana skill or not.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Teri

Re: New Arcanist glyphs: `cosir` (luminous diagram) and `fathys` (warmth diagram)

Post by Teri »

Some feedback: Given fathys does not currently fade (I do adore that very much, science mishaps notwithstanding, the energy draw vs utility is fascinating) I am pondering a few ideas.
1: The ability to end energy to currently active glyphs. Cosir potentially the same, but the energy draw is less, and it does of course fade.
2: Something where there is a cap on faythys itself where if drawing one would knock the character unconscious, the oldest one currently around will fade instead. Not exactly a number cap on them being drawn, as one could conceivably draw more than a set amount with vitality and constitution stat. Vitality wearing off could make those cases a bit more awkward, given being knocked unconscious after.
3: Unconsciousness itself could the reason all active cosir/fathys fade as workaround as well. I imagine placing one down on a farm and losing access to erase one could be very aggravating. Interesting if one placed one in a dangerous area and have the need to erase it, though.
Edited to add while one can draw cosir then fathys, fathys does not allow the arcanist to draw any other glyphs in that location afterwards. For any new arcanists fathys decreases max energy, but that is not immediately reflected until one uses that energy up, then the energy does not regenerate above that amount.
(Very curious about persisting glyph concepts being added later)
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
nobody

Post by nobody »

Teri wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:02 am (Very curious about persisting glyph concepts being added later)
Same. I was thinking it would be really awesome to be able to "refuel" those cosir glyphs, but in thinking through it this past week, that might not be the best idea (at least, not without limitations). I've had a cosir glyph and fathys glyph circle sitting around for a few days now and the fathys glyph is still warming the area but my cosir circle has long since ceased functioning, and I realized someone could create a throw-away arcanist character, burn through all their energy warming the cold places of the world, and then just shelve the character. If cosir glyphs could be recharged by anyone, there would be a similar issue, place all those light glyphs and it produces perpetual benefit without ever having to play the character again, and that seems a bit too powerful, and maybe also against the spirit of the thing.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Hm, I didn't think about a case like that. I suppose shelving could remove the energy. I joked about how much energy is worth, but maybe a week or day limitation on them? We were joking about arcanist subscriptions, but an expiration would require characters to touch base instead of being perpetual 'send me money in the mail' in the case of warming farms or other locations (I admit, I find that neat, too.) I do really love that it lasts as long as the energy is tied to it.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Any chance of getting an "invert" glyph component that reverses the effect of these two (aka, makes the room darker for cosir, makes the room colder for fathys)?
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Ephemeralis wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:30 am Any chance of getting an "invert" glyph component that reverses the effect of these two (aka, makes the room darker for cosir, makes the room colder for fathys)?
Modifier glyphs, perhaps? The circles mention repeating glyphs aroud the circumference. Perhaps we could do something in the 'DRAW OCCULT SMALL CIRCLE' command to draw those glyphs differently to invert the effects. It'd have to be probably coded in, because I'm not sure the complicated Arcana system I'm seeing in my brain is within the scope of the game.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

You mentioned in the original post the 'persisting' glyph.

I was thinking recently about how it would be nice to be able to put a persistent glyph on other effects as well, like DORUN, SHAOL, UYTO, TERLU, or IQUAJ with an associated max energy drain on the caster. Both the target and the caster could dismiss the effect to end the energy drain, and it could scale the drain based on the caster's arcana skill. This would give arcanists more tools to use on their glyphs.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."