Quickchanneling for Primalists and Warlocks

Seekers of knowledge, from physickers to alchemists to occultists.
Rias
DEV

Quickchanneling for Primalists and Warlocks

Post by Rias »

Warlocks and Primalists can now get their own versions of a Quickchannel ability! These abilities have 2 ranks, each rank reducing the associated channel roundtime by 1.

Primalist version: https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... ickchannel

Warlock version: https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... ickchannel
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Ephemeralis

Re: Quickchanneling for Primalists and Warlocks

Post by Ephemeralis »

This is a game changer for pure sorcery builds.

Level 3 sorcery becomes a 3s roundtime instead of a 9s one with 2 ranks of quick channel.

Dropping channels from armor use becomes only a 1s roundtime penalty to up the channel again instead of 3. Medium and heavy armor builds are now workable with significant investment (and accompanying downsides), all for the low cost of 2 ability points.

The only thing that'd make this better would be to have the ability to release only 1 channel when raw casting. That way, tactics like spooling up to 3 channels at opportune moments becomes possible. Could be something to look into at high levels of base sorcery.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hello! It would be nice if arcanists also received a fortourgy quickchanneling ability.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
jerc

Post by jerc »

:+1: They should get it as well! Especially considering how much harder it is for them to open their channels to begin with.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice if either there was a "Quickchanneling Mastery" ability that required all prior levels of Quickchannel + the relevant skill (Sorcery or Druidry) at 700, that gave the benefit of shaving a second of RT off of casting abilities in game (or maybe shaved off a % of RT something like "10% or 1 RT, rounded up, whichever is highest") or if just having all levels of Quickchanneling while you had 700 in the relevant skill automatically did that.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
jerc

Post by jerc »

Lexx416 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:13 am It'd be nice if either there was a "Quickchanneling Mastery" ability that required all prior levels of Quickchannel + the relevant skill (Sorcery or Druidry) at 700, that gave the benefit of shaving a second of RT off of casting abilities in game (or maybe shaved off a % of RT something like "10% or 1 RT, rounded up, whichever is highest") or if just having all levels of Quickchanneling while you had 700 in the relevant skill automatically did that.
I can't decide if I think this is overpowered or not... On one hand, your cast rate is still capped at 15s for a round of the current sorcery spells in sustained combat thanks to cooldowns, so dropping down to 4s/cast doesn't get you much but less penalization from RT. On the other hand, it entirely negates the 1s aiming penalty, which feels significant to me since most mobs are on a 5s round timer, and that 6s prevents you from trivially "stance dancing" with them. Being able to both aim *and* guarantee that your opponent is in sufficient RT for a -2 penalty sounds awesome.

I guess it would be somewhat offset by the high skill requirement, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of such a big unscaled improvement "cliff". What if instead of a guaranteed RT reduction at 700, the ability had a requirement of 450 (150 above the second rank of quickchannel), and then scaled with sorcery/druidry and gave a chance for RT reduction on every cast?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

jerc wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 am
Lexx416 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:13 am It'd be nice if either there was a "Quickchanneling Mastery" ability that required all prior levels of Quickchannel + the relevant skill (Sorcery or Druidry) at 700, that gave the benefit of shaving a second of RT off of casting abilities in game (or maybe shaved off a % of RT something like "10% or 1 RT, rounded up, whichever is highest") or if just having all levels of Quickchanneling while you had 700 in the relevant skill automatically did that.
I can't decide if I think this is overpowered or not... On one hand, your cast rate is still capped at 15s for a round of the current sorcery spells in sustained combat thanks to cooldowns, so dropping down to 4s/cast doesn't get you much but less penalization from RT. On the other hand, it entirely negates the 1s aiming penalty, which feels significant to me since most mobs are on a 5s round timer, and that 6s prevents you from trivially "stance dancing" with them. Being able to both aim *and* guarantee that your opponent is in sufficient RT for a -2 penalty sounds awesome.

I guess it would be somewhat offset by the high skill requirement, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of such a big unscaled improvement "cliff". What if instead of a guaranteed RT reduction at 700, the ability had a requirement of 450 (150 above the second rank of quickchannel), and then scaled with sorcery/druidry and gave a chance for RT reduction on every cast?
I think if my suggestion feels a bit too good in terms of combat and negating the aim penalty (which I'd forgotten existed, honestly), then having it be a scaling chance effect starting at 450 and improving with skill would be a good middle ground. And I like the idea that it's less guaranteed, so it feels a bit more like a nice bonus instead of "I have to learn this ability so I can gank fools the most efficiently".
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."