Rogue Ability Suggestions

Rangers, bards, treasure hunters, rogues - anyone with a love for the adventurous lifestyle beyond the town walls.
Navi

Rogue Ability Suggestions

Post by Navi »

I’ve been playing a rogue for a few months now. It’s a lot of fun, and I definitely do like the concept behind them now that I’ve gotten use to what their roles are geared towards. However, they do seem a little empty.

Aside from skill-caps, there isn’t a ton of variation between Treasure Hunter and Rogues. Along with that, I’m currently sitting on 14 abilities, with not a ton more options to fill out the remaining 9 slots I have, even if I decided to grab occult glyphs, which I don’t for a number of OOC and IC reasons. This being said. I’d like to propose some unique abilities specific to rogues. Some that have been touched on in previous voice chats, and some I’ve adopted from other rogue concepts.

1: Cunning Avoidance:

Giving in to their cowardice, rogues have learned how to keep themselves away from danger by placing obstacles, and sometimes people, between them and any would be attackers.

OOC: A passive ability that allows the rogue to preemptively fend off an attack by placing an obstacle dependent on the terrain between them and their attacker. Based primarily on artifice and maybe perception? If the rogue is grouped, this ability may use a group member in place of an obstacle, essentially forcing another character in the group to act as a guard for that combat role. The ability will attempt to select a character with the most appropriate combat skill. Only activates when at 0 seconds of roundtime.

2. Distract:

Sometimes a rogue can’t wait for the most opportune time to pilfer from a target, so they’ve learned effective ways of creating their own. By utilizing sleight of hand, they can create a distraction which alerts hostile critters in a manner that causes them to search for the source, but not become immediately paranoid.

OOC: Puts critters into roundtime as they search with their standard perception rolls. Can also be used to lure a sentient NPC into an adjacent room. If used against a player character, only the messaging is displayed. I.E. You hear a loud noise somewhere close by. You hear an odd noise coming from the west. ETC.

3. Second Floor Rogue

Utilizing their cunning, a rogue can often climb up difficult and perilous obstacles provided with the right equipment or environment. Their speed and cunning allows them to do so in a stealthy manner.
OOC: When at encumbrance of 1 or below, substitutes acrobatics for climbing and grants a reroll when in an urban environment, or when a rope is available to climb with. Also allows them the ability to climb while hidden, with a penalty to stealth.

I'll post more as they come to me. Thanks for reading!
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Lexx416

Re: Rogue Ability Suggestions

Post by Lexx416 »

I like these, though I do think that the 3rd ability (Second Floor Rogue) should probably only offer a partial substitution of Acrobatics for Climbing.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Navi

Post by Navi »

A couple more abilities I had brainstormed, but never got around to posting.

1: Fast Talking:

Description: With quick thinking and the right words, a rogue can talk their way out of almost any trouble.
OOC: After a target summons guards due to a failed theft, using this ability will grant a chance to avoid trouble. Success dependent on storytelling.

2: Conceal and Disguise

Description: Whether it be paranoia or some other roguish tendencies, rogues have an uncanny knack for concealing things from cursory observations.

OOC: Grants the rogue the ability to conceal small containers and sheathes on their person, provided they are wearing appropriate clothing.

I’d love to see some advance disguising abilities for the rogue specialization as well, but it seems complicated and difficult to balance, may be worth its own skill though.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
We'll meet again
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

For the disguise ability. I could suggest something like it, however I thought of just making it akin to the shadow cloak ability, but not sorcery based. Requires something like a full body concealment clothing like a cloak that breaks your humanoid profile.
(Insert appropriate smiley)
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

Another good ability I think rogues can benefit from would be.

Eavesdrop
IC: there are a lot of things one can learn just by staying still and listening. Rogues, being fond of knowing secrets are trained especially for this.
OOC: When this ability is active, you can passively hear whispered conversation, or conversations from a direction or exit. Also grants rerolls against ambushes or hidden individuals coming and going out of the room. Commands that constitutes rt will break the active command. Especially perceptive individuals can notice if you are actively listening.
Duration: 1 second per perception skill.

Awareness + 20%
Intuition +5%
(Insert appropriate smiley)
Navi

Post by Navi »

+1 ^
We'll meet again
nobody

Post by nobody »

Vaelin wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:44 pm Another good ability I think rogues can benefit from would be.

Eavesdrop
IC: there are a lot of things one can learn just by staying still and listening. Rogues, being fond of knowing secrets are trained especially for this.
OOC: When this ability is active, you can passively hear whispered conversation, or conversations from a direction or exit. Also grants rerolls against ambushes or hidden individuals coming and going out of the room. Commands that constitutes rt will break the active command. Especially perceptive individuals can notice if you are actively listening.
Duration: 1 second per perception skill.

Awareness + 20%
Intuition +5%
Go! Learn! Arcana!

https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... ndpulling)

Of particular note:
OOC description: (The ability to hear whispers of people in the same room, eavesdrop on adjacent rooms, and grants a small Perception bonus.)
Usage: draw the glyph as part of an occult diagram. Use the eavesdrop command to listen to an adjacent room. Other effects are passive.
Serity

Post by Serity »

nobody wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:12 pm Go! Learn! Arcana!

https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... ndpulling)

Of particular note:
OOC description: (The ability to hear whispers of people in the same room, eavesdrop on adjacent rooms, and grants a small Perception bonus.)
Usage: draw the glyph as part of an occult diagram. Use the eavesdrop command to listen to an adjacent room. Other effects are passive.
For what it's worth, the terlu glyph's Silent Walking appears to be the same effect as Footpad (including the unmentioned roundtime decrease), so it's not like there's not precedent.
Navi

Post by Navi »

+1 ^
We'll meet again
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Here are some Rogue ability ideas. Some were lifted from the other game. I've also recently been out tagging along with a fighter friend, and it's made me think about combat, so that's why a lot of these ideas relate to combat. Also figure giving Rogues a little combat edge will help differentiate their feel from Treasure Hunters.

Tactics: Rogue. Keep 75% of Coward's Contingency defense when attacking from hiding. Cunning Dodge no longer canceled by roundtime.

Skullduggery: Use 75% Artifice or Stealth for successful ambush attacks made from hiding or against targets who are already under attack by someone else. Only used instead of Melee or Ranged if it would be a higher roll. (This would max at 525.)

Dirty Trick: Shove. When attacked and you dodge, be prompted to try and shove the target. Successful shove inflicts a short Stumbling debuff which reduces the target's offense and defense rerolls. (Trying to avoid more stagger.) On a success over 75% the target falls down.

Dirty Trick: Kneebash. Using the pommel of a held weapon, thwack the target's knee. Inflicts Stumbling debuff like above, just the active version instead of reactive version, on a cooldown.

Dirty Trick: Sap. Using the pommel of a held weapon, thwack the the target in the back of the neck from hiding. Causes mesmerize.

Dirty Trick: Garrote. An ambush attack that cuases the attacker and the target to both get into repeating RT until the target breaks away. During the struggle the target loses energy from suffocation. Good way to mess up an enemy for a group member to follow up on, or just to be threatening to someone who's gotten on your bad side. If the target is attacked, the garrote automatically ends. Long cooldown.

Dirty Trick: Groinkick. A classic. Lowers morale and causes the Nausea effect which reduces combat rerolls by 1. In the name of equality make it work just as well on women as it does on men.

Dirty Trick: Loosen Belt. Used from hiding. On their next RT action, the target's pants or protective leg greaves start to fall down, causing them to not do the action and instead incur 1s roundtime to catch their pants. Hilarious.

Lockpick Proficency: Increase lockpick rolls by 15%. Inspired by some locks I saw recently which I don't think would be possible even with 700 skill. Share with Treasure Hunters, probably.

Lockpick Alacrity: Chance at reduced lockpick roundtimes per repetition. Share with Treasure Hunters, probably.

Kleptomania: Small chance for Quickpocket procs when nearby people perform RT actions, and get a morale boost when stealing based on the value of the item or the amount of riln.

Catch: Utilizing a thief's honed reflexes, give a chance to catch an incoming thrown item, arrow, or bolt.

Nonchalance: Reduce chance to get caught stealing, and be able to use the search command without others noticing.

Paranoid Eye: Those trained in the thief's trade tend to end up a little paranoid, and are always taking stock of their surroundings. Reduce search roundtime, increase search rolls a little bit.

Mug: Chance to proc Quickpocket (see tactical dodge rogue benefit) when attacking a target.

Lesser Improvised Weapon Proficiency: Mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1048

Shady: A little boost to stealth rolls, or rerolls, to help set up Rogues as the stealth-focused class.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."