New Rogue ability: Kleptomania

Rangers, bards, treasure hunters, rogues - anyone with a love for the adventurous lifestyle beyond the town walls.
Rias
DEV

New Rogue ability: Kleptomania

Post by Rias »

Rogues can now learn the new Kleptomania ability! Click here or type HELP KLEPTOMANIA in-game to see the details. Enjoy making everyone that much more paranoid! (Reminder that this is just as useful against humanoid NPCs/mobs as it is PCs; it's not a CvC-only ability.)

P.S. I did just read the suggestion that this be toggleable to avoid spam and whatnot. I'll look into an ability toggle system for all abilities, not just this one.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Maina

Re: New Rogue ability: Kleptomania

Post by Maina »

Is there anything in place to prevent it from triggering on party members? Like I'm immediately envisioning a situation like:

Mob triggers QP
Player types in QP to steal from them
Game processes an ally's action first and they trigger QP
Player steals from ally instead of mob on accident.

I also feel like the psychology of seeing a big fancy 'hey! look! your super special ability you bought has triggered and given you an opportunity to do a cool thing!' is going to push some people to troll-ish, RP-less thefts they wouldn't otherwise engage in, but I guess we'll see how it's used in practice.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

It has a cooldown period after prompting that's much longer than the window of opportunity to use the Quickpocket command, so there shouldn't be any risk of it triggering a second time and switching the target as the player is typing the command.

As always, we'll keep a close eye on CvC activity. If a player doesn't want to play the type of character who's stealing more often, they shouldn't have much incentive to take this ability in the first place. Having a toggle to avoid opportunities against group members is a good idea!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Prism

Post by Prism »

So, there were obviously some concerns about this last night-- and I wanted to say two things.

A): Sorry for my abrasive tone when responding to said concerns. I probably should've just not said anything to begin with. I was in an already heightened emotional state and it was late at night-- Sorry about that, i'm human. I'll try better to be more conscious of that in the future. I absolutely don't want to be that guy that upsets anybody.

B) The above said, upon further reflection, the concerns had can be easily rectified simply by making sure one actively has their valuables in a closeable container that's closed. Closing one's containers is easy security that most, myself included, tend forget about now and then. Even valuables in non-closeable containers can be shifted to closeable ones should one's concern of theft be that significant.

Those two things said-- Thanks for the time, discussion of new features both posetive and negative is always appreciated on my part, and sorry again for the negativity.
"The sky, above the clouds; A rainbow that fate has devoured
I gave up Hope
But I'm not going to be lost tomorrow; Even if it is hell
I'm gonna' crawl. "
Navi

Post by Navi »

I have not yet actually acted on the QP for this ability just yet. However, I am noticing that I am getting a morale boost for when I make a successful theft even when actively stealing. I haven't submitted it as a bug, because it's seems as reasonable as having a QP event. One last note is that I love seeing the little messages and having to make split moment decisions of whether or not to act on them. It is a lot of fun.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again