Rogue Ability Suggestions

Rangers, bards, treasure hunters, rogues - anyone with a love for the adventurous lifestyle beyond the town walls.
ThresherAle

Re: Rogue Ability Suggestions

Post by ThresherAle »

Adding that most of those dirty tricks could go to Marauder as well. Though I will humbly put forward that Sap, and more importantly, Loosen Belt, should stay Rogue-specific since they are based around stealth. This would make Rogues like mini Marauders with more disruption and less direct damage, like Bards are to Duelists. I'm more interested in contributing to group combat with disruption than I am in killing anything myself. I don't think I've ever solo attacked or killed a mob. I prefer the stealth in and out with nobody knowing you were there approach. But when going with groups, dirty tricks for contribution through disruption would be great.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Navi

Post by Navi »

I love all of these. I would love to see them anywhere in game even if they’re not all available to rogues.
I do wonder if it would be worth creating a new branch for these more combat disruptive abilities though. So rogues who choose the slippery coward tree would be incredibly difficult to catch with very little combat. Rogues who pick up the more offensive abilities trade off that evasiveness for more support and dirty tricks.

Tactics: Rogue: I would enjoy not having to time manage my rounds in combat as much. Keeping the numbers capped around 600 or so seems pretty decent. I might suggest to give an extra reroll for when the rogue is at 0 roundtime, just to keep that sort of time management style in play but have it offer a boon instead of an inconvenience.

Skullduggery: I really like this. However, I am not 100% sold. Perhaps a certain future society would train their more roguish members how to fight like this. Rogues already have quite a bit of point saving investments available. I know this is a common trope in tabletop games, rogues having a ton of skills. I’m just not sure if that’s the idea here on COGG as well

Dirty Tricks: I love all of these. I love the idea for more balance and reroll manipulation and foregoing the stagger. Gives more weight in group combat. I think having some risk thresholds here would be good. So certain dirty tricks like garotte can’t be used if you have so much risk, and using them increases your risk. Cooldowns are good, but risk in melee combat is virtually nonexistent. I see it like, okay you punched me in the kidney, everybody around me maybe possibly saw you do that, so now they’re on guard.

Lockpick proficiency: I’m thinking this should be treasure Hunter specific.
Lockpick Alacrity: I think this should be rogue specific, as I can see speed being more of value when burgling.

Kleptomania: This would be amazing, but also very spammy. perhaps an active ability that you turn on and while it’s active these quick time events pop up from crowds or players where you can make an opportunistic pull.

Catch: I… don’t know about this one. Maybe catching throwing knives, but it seems like a better version of the arrow guard ability as written.

Nonchalance: Love it, support it.

Paranoid Eye: Maybe some perception based defense against abilities like cleaving blow or tackle, the ones that only have pure melee or ranged as defenses.

Mug: This seems more of a marauder style of robbery. I just can’t see the warrior’s guild actively teaching its members how to mug people though. Kill and loot, sure.

Lesser Improvised Weapon Proficiency: I do enjoy the idea of being able to pick up anything and be effective.

Shady: More stealth is always good, though I would prefer more rerolls.

I hope this is constructive.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Navi

Post by Navi »

Rogue Ability: Dang Hard to Hit
An ability or active command with a cooldown of 45 seconds that can be lowered with the meditation skill. When active, any melee attacks made on you have their energy costs increased by four times. So if normally an attack would cost 10 energy, it now costs 40.
. This would symbolize the run around a rogue would give an attacker, wearing them down until they’re too tired.

It can add an extra second attack for ranged attacks. These effects would not apply to successful ambush attacks made from melee or ranged.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
We'll meet again
Navi

Post by Navi »

Quick Tricks: Instead of the rogue having full control over what dirty tricks they can pull, I suggest a quick time event that triggers when hostiles make combat maneuvers. Generating no RT and activatable while in RT, it selects a random trick, and the rogue decides whether or not to act on it. Dirty tricks can be pulled from the lists in the previous posts, with a few exclusive quick tricks like trip. Having one or two for quick getaways that can be used actively would be nice as well.
I see this ability triggering more for rogues while they’re in group combat since there are more opportunities, but in solo not so much. I suggest a 7 second cool down.
We'll meet again
Howard

Post by Howard »

I'd love to see an either/or with rogues, to force folks to pick whether they're picking pockets or locks primarily. I think a rogue should be able to do both, but specializing is always fun. And depending on whether someone goes with pockets or locks could open up specialized abilities in the future. For example, those who focus on locks might be able to make lockpicks, while maybe we put thieve's tricks and some artifice-based dirty tricks behind kleptomania.

So, as a counter point to Kleptomania, I present:

Ability: Lock charmer
IC description: After focussing your training on tumblers and tension wrenches, you have developed a specialty and pride in your ability to open any lock.
OOC description: (You experience a boost in morale when you pick particularly challenging or complicated (e.g. many tumbler or challenge at/above your skill) locks, though you will experience a decrease in morale whenever you activate a trap or fail to open a lock. You also experience one second roundtime decrease for disarming and picking.)
Navi

Post by Navi »

Improved Feint:
Who knows what us rogues have up our sleeves. Using your cunning and illusion, cause targets to be fooled easier, then capitalize on it.

OOC: Applies 100% artifice to feinting rolls. On success of 50% or higher, apply %50 artifice to your next melee or ranged attack.
We'll meet again
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

OOC: Applies 100% artifice to feinting rolls. On success of 50% or higher, apply %50 artifice to your next melee or ranged attack.
I can't tell if this would be absolutely busted or just crazy good. This is a real possibility for -10 balance, and then an aditional +300 or more, depending on your Artifice, to your next attack,including the negatives from balance loss and possibly RT.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Ursun: I dunno if it's been suggested before, but it might be a good rogue ability. Basically, they duck behind somebody in their group and become guarded. Kind of like hiding behind somebody bigger then you in a fight
Lexx: Cowardly Reprieve
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
ThresherAle

Post by ThresherAle »

Blend Into The Crowd: Move and act in such a way that there's a chance anyone who notices your movements will just gloss over you as another unimportant faceless member of the crowd. When sneaking into or out of a room with NPC crowd, get 1 reroll to your check to not be noticed by others, and reduce the Risk generated by moving between rooms in stealth. Additional reroll for rooms with really large crowds. The idea is that if a room sees regular human activity and traffic you can use the tried and true "act like you belong" technique to be overlooked. If it's too powerful for a passive, make it channeled like footpad, but I don't think that's necessary.

This seemed like a good rogue exclusive that highlights the rogue's focus on stealth deception stuff around other people in populated areas, and so wouldn't be yet another ability shared by both treasure hunters and rogues. Good luck coming up with your own exclusives to help differentiate between us, treasure hunters.
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Navi

Post by Navi »

mimic/copy cat:
Being able to pick up on things you're not suppose to is a key characteristic of a rogue. By being perceptive and applying learned melee/ranged skills, mimic the moves others use around you to great affect.
OOC: When an active ability associated with agility, awareness, or intuition is used, a chance, based on perception, melee/ or ranged, to be able to have a one use quick time action that targets your active target. Balance requirements and the like still need to be met.

For example, my nightblade buddy uses sweep on hostile number one. My rogue mimics the ability, and can perform the QT on my target, hostile number 2.
The abilities that come to mind that this would relate to are quick strike, sweep, and flip. I'm probably missing a few
We'll meet again