Marauder feedback

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
nobody

Marauder feedback

Post by nobody »

I decided to pick up a marauder as they're one of the less developed warriors and I found that they interestingly have a lot going on for them. Here is what I've observed so far:

- Tactics: Marauder: This is definitely not a level 1 ability right now, as all it does is grant a reduction in armor encumbrance until one learns dirtkick. I don't think that needs to change, after having both dirtkick and tactics: marauder one actually starts to feel like a warrior though, which is quite nice. This will likely be an incredibly powerful tactic once there are 3+ dirty fighting tricks. Also of note, the ability description says it triggers on attack, block, parry, and dodge. I haven't tested dodge, but it DOES NOT trigger on block or parry. It's still pretty good even without that though.
- Dirtkick: I picked this up after tactics: marauder, so I've very rarely used dirtkick by itself, but I have used it as a stand alone ability and it's great. I should point out that artifice is not capped for dirtkick rolls (as compared to stealth), and that'd probably balance the ability a bit. Oddly, the benefits of dirtkick don't seem to apply to hurled weaponry, only melee attacks. I haven't tested non-hurled ranged weaponry at all.
- Followup punch: I picked this ability up last and it's a nice addition but not a game changer. It's very satisfying to have a triple proc on attack (dirtkick, attack, followup punch), but I don't think I've actually had a killing blow with followup punch.
- Shield bash: It's a great ability and block is a very good defense. I like to use it to open combat and then wear the shield to take advantage of the higher damage and followup punch from a two-handed weapon, but with the right weapon it's perfectly viable to keep the shield all the time and ditching followup punch.
- Multi-throw: I've used this some, and at low skill it's definitely not over powered (it's less reliable than a dedicated ranged weapon - literally any other ranged weapon is better at low skill). I'll need to provide more feedback on this if I keep a warrior long enough to get to high ranged skill, but ranged doesn't seem like a marauder's ideal place of focus so it is not likely.

For additional abilities I'd mostly like to see more dirty tricks
- deliberately attacking balance as it's primary focus (like shove or foot stomp) would be quite useful
- trying to do less hp damage to hit locations and more fracture damage would be delightfully on brand
- focusing on attacking an opponents weapon, shield, or armor (doing a heavier level of durability damage) also seems on brand - dishonorable but effective
- a dirty trick that attempts to snatch a bit of riln using artifice would be amusing
- something that causes damage (like a sucker punch, kidney punch, etc.) would be tempting, but it would compete with followup punch for screen time so probably would skip it if it were offered, wouldn't want to dilute my pool of better tricks.

Overall, they've got a fun play style and the range of abilities make them pretty flexible, so a variety of builds are possible.
Irylia

Re: Marauder feedback

Post by Irylia »

+1 to the above.