Flippin' out

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
Xandrea

Flippin' out

Post by Xandrea »

I've had Flip for awhile as a Nightblade and I know the Helpfile says that only Duelists and Bards can "flip flank" but, I'm asking for clarification incase this is an overlooked sort of detail. I keep giving enemies free hits trying to figure this one out because of such uncertainty.

Considering we have the RISK mechanic already on our heels it seems like something I'm able to 'risk' in order to salvage a failed mortal blow and since we have super high acrobatics it feels like we're supposed to be able to do it. It is an extremely risky maneuver to pull off considering it can prone and stun you for seven seconds. So maybe we're discouraged from doing it and I'm not getting that message.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?
Rias
DEV

Re: Flippin' out

Post by Rias »

As the ability info says, the Flip Flank bonus is available only to Duelists and Bards, not Nightblades.

I know Nightblades are kind of in that place where they feel like the could basically be Duelists, but also with stealth and sorcery and lockpicking and artifice, based solely on their feel. Unfortunately that would be pretty over-the-top (not to mention sad for Duelists). Nightblades spread themselves a bit thinner with their branching out more than Duelists, so as a result they're going to miss out on some things that might seem to be in their wheelhouse but they just don't have the bandwidth to specialize in.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I actually agree with this. If we did have some additional modification to flip, I would think it would be more stealth related... like flipping into hiding or negating the "you have recently been found status" to allow a faster hide. I'm all for adding unique abilities for nightblades (particularly sorcery, stealth or kill shot type abilities) instead of more duplication with duelists.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Xandrea

Post by Xandrea »

I don't want to be focused on Sorcery. It's just another tool to use. I like that it's limited. I see Nightblade being the "Assassin's" archetype. (For obvious reasons I hope.) So I don't want it to be half-classed Warlock but, some things unique to it from sorcery would be interesting. I just really don't want Sorcery to be it's calling card when that's not even it's highest. So I'm thinking more along the lines of acrobatics and such than I am Arcana or Sorcery.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I think we're intended to be hybrid sorcery/physical. So some sorcery with direct applications in melee combat or stealth is warranted. Acrobatics is definitely more the duelist or bard area although nightblades can certainly learn...
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Acarin wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:02 am like flipping ... negating the "you have recently been found status" to allow a faster hide
Oooohhh. I like this one.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

An increased chance of flipping (rather than tumbling) after being driven out of hiding could be cool in addition as well. Kind of a stealth recovery type thing.
drawstring pouch (open).