True Strike Tiering

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
Acarin

True Strike Tiering

Post by Acarin »

Just an idea here. Since a tiering system for abilities has been released, it might be neat to add a second tier for Warrior Guild with different effects by specialization. For example, duelists may retain extra balance (maybe 25% of what would ordinarily be consumed), guardians may convert some of the balance to each block or parry for the next strike (or 1 extra roll), and nightblades may get a dramatically higher increased chance of a mortal blow independent of damage (scaled based on balance spent). Some sort of advanced warrior specific differentiation could be very cool here given that it is a more general ability.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Re: True Strike Tiering

Post by Rias »

Oooh, I love the idea to have True Strike enjoy different bonuses based on the tactics you're using. Anyone else have suggestions?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

• Berserker: Gains some amount of rage proportional to the amount of balance spent.
  • Dreadnought: Increased chance to stagger opponent/knock them down on hit.
  • Duelist: Retains some balance, the higher the roll the more balance retained.
  • Guardian: Increased block/parry/dodge chance on next enemy attack (expires after 10s).
  • Marauder: Uses a random dirty trick just prior to using. More balance spent = additional rolls for the dirty trick.
  • Nightblade: Increased armor chink chance.
  • Ranged warrior class: Automatically disengages to ranged after use. May cause a small balance loss to target (like a feint/disengage combo).
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

I do like these except for the nightblade and marauder. Was thinking that the change might not be reliant on another ability and should be more about their characteristic fighting style. For the nightblade one in particular, this would rely on weapon type as well. It would be nice if these bonuses were dependent on true strike and the tactic alone instead of requiring other abilities... at least for first added tier
Agelity wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am
  • Berserker: Gains some amount of rage proportional to the amount of balance spent.
  • Dreadnought: Increased chance to stagger opponent/knock them down on hit.
  • Duelist: Retains some balance, the higher the roll the more balance retained.
  • Guardian: Increased block/parry/dodge chance on next enemy attack (expires after 10s).
  • Marauder: Uses a random dirty trick just prior to using. More balance spent = additional rolls for the dirty trick.
  • Nightblade: Increased armor chink chance.
  • Ranged warrior class: Automatically disengages to ranged after use. May cause a small balance loss to target (like a feint/disengage combo).
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

Acarin wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:06 pm I do like these except for the nightblade and marauder. Was thinking that the change might not be reliant on another ability and should be more about their characteristic fighting style. For the nightblade one in particular, this would rely on weapon type as well. It would be nice if these bonuses were dependent on true strike and the tactic alone instead of requiring other abilities... at least for first added tier
For Marauder I'd agree, but I was drawing a bit of a blank on what to have there (after all, dirty tricks are basically their tactic), short of them just doing a follow up punch to the face. I guess another thought would be to have them taunt the target, which decreases morale by a tiny bit (with diminishing returns) and may cause the opponent to have one less roll on their next skill check (attack, defense, etc.), or for a flat duration on all checks (like 10s). Actually, on second thought, I like this option more.

For Nightblade I was also really unsure, since a bonus for a balance spending ability from stealth feels awkward, unless you made the ability give them a chance to attack as if they were attacking from ambush (which is another thought). Regarding armor chink chance, it wouldn't be related to the armor chink ability itself, just the passive mechanic which does exist for certain weapons that Nightblades (and Duelists) are most likely to use anyway.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Nightblades, I assume, are supposed to kill quickly and not let a fight drag out... regardless of whether they're ambushing or in open combat. So my two suggestions there would be either a perfect chance to hit the target location that one is aiming at (i.e. target the enemy's weak points with reliable aim) or an increased chance at a mortal blow. This goes with the whole tactic they have but not sure what would be best. It does seem weird to have to circle from hiding before an ambush as most mobs move after one circle and then you have to restart balance accumulation... that being said, I think ambushing definitely need some work overall. It doesn't really help that much right now other than delaying an enemy attack by a few seconds so you're not hit fresh out of rt.

For marauders, I could see them being a little tricky and slipping in an extra blow with a different part of their weapon if they hit. Maybe a second strike if you hit at reduced rolls (a second damage line in the first hit) or another quick weaker hit under the same rt with a reduced roll. I'm not saying that a dirty trick wouldn't make sense... just that it probably shouldn't be a prereq ability.
drawstring pouch (open).
nobody

Post by nobody »

For marauders I'd just suggest the same as dreadnaught - chance of knockdown and stagger.