Marauders abilities

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
Fall

Marauders abilities

Post by Fall »

Currently Marauders have the least abilities of all warriors. Let's get some ideas to bring Marauders to the top.

Boast: Boost your own morale.

Mock: Mock your enemy with such confidence and enthusiasm and scathing insults that your enemy loses morale. (Guardians immune, because they're above all that.)

Suckerpunch: Dirty trick to do a longer stagger than dirtkick. Sometimes Follow Punch becomes Suckerpunch.

Hair Grab: Dity trick requires an empty hand, grab your opponent by the hair and follow up with a headbutt. Stagger and some damage.

Throat Jab: Dirty trick requires an empty hand, jab your opponent in the throat to stagger them. Can cause choking which will act like a DOT but with short staggers or round time instead of damage.

Plunder: Extra luck finding riln and boxes from things you personally killed. When you loot riln or boxes from things you killed, you get a small morale boost.

Combat Pragmatist: Get a reroll on your next weapon attack following a dirty trick. Stack up to three.

Ego Strike: Marauders can be boastful and self-assured, so turn your ego to your advantage. Each hit builds up Ego, and the more Ego you have, the more likely you are to follow up with an extra attack with your weapon and Ego resets. Getting hit reduces Ego.

Egoist: Morale boosters increase Ego.

Self Preservation: Bonus to defense rolls if you are badly wounded or tired, and have not attacked in the past 5 sec.

I don't know how good those are, but I want to at least get people thinking.
You notice ((DEV Rias)) reaching discreetly into your crude threadbare wool pants! Seeing your attention, he quickly withdraws his hand.
Navi

Re: Marauders abilities

Post by Navi »

I haven't done much melee combat, except when it was first implemented. I remember liking it quite a bit though. I'm sure it's only improved since then. That being said, I hope these criticisms and alterations come off as constructive, and not argumentative. .
[quote=Fall post_id=1300 time=1588737742 user_id=101]
Currently Marauders have the least abilities of all warriors. Let's get some ideas to bring Marauders to the top.

Boast: Boost your own morale.
I don't really like the idea of an ability granting yourself a morale boost. Even physickers can't use their therapies on themselves.
Mock: Mock your enemy with such confidence and enthusiasm and scathing insults that your enemy loses morale. (Guardians immune, because they're above all that.)
Perhaps instead of insulting them, you try to come up with the craziest nonsense to confuse them, and gives a creature anywhere from a second to three seconds of roundtime. No roundtime associated with using it, and could have a cooldown of 30 seconds. I don't think it should effect those other than the single target you direct it at though. Could increase effectiveness with the linguist skill.
Suckerpunch: Dirty trick to do a longer stagger than dirtkick. Sometimes Follow Punch becomes Suckerpunch.
Followup punch seems like a good way to move into an ability that lets you strike with an offhand weapon that is smaller and lighter than your primary striking weapon. If opportunities arise to punch someone, what's stopping that person from stabbing their target instead of punching? Could call it followup strike, and require followup punch to learn.
Hair Grab: Dity trick requires an empty hand, grab your opponent by the hair and follow up with a headbutt. Stagger and some damage.
I don't really like this, mainly because of the coding that would be required to tell if someone has hair, or if it's covered. I also really hate the idea of headbutting. Real headbutting is dangerous, and is probably more dangerous to the person attempting it. It's also only really effective against a flatfooted opponent. If it were made an ability, it should have an equal chance of staggering the user, shouldn't be used on people taller than you, and should only be usable while unhidden, and against nonaggressive targets. Further more, how are you practicing this ability anyway? Are you buying pumpkins, grabbing them by their vines, and bashing the crown of your head into them?
Throat Jab: Dirty trick requires an empty hand, jab your opponent in the throat to stagger them. Can cause choking which will act like a DOT but with short staggers or round time instead of damage.
While I get the idea of fighting with your body, and using opportunities to get strikes in, seems like there should be more to do with your weapon, since this is what's going to determine a lot of your fighting style. If the idea is to stagger your opponent and damage them slightly, you could watch for an easy blow to parry, but sunder your weapon against theirs with force. Possibly staggering, injuring their hand or hands, or even disarming them. Possibly a combination of the three. Doing this damages your weapon. After activating the ability, On any successful parry that is higher than 75%, you deliver a sundering blow to their weapon or shield, that staggers them, and deals appropriate damage. No cooldown, but massive energy cost when triggered.
Plunder: Extra luck finding riln and boxes from things you personally killed. When you loot riln or boxes from things you killed, you get a small morale boost.
I don't see perception as a skill for this class of warrior, so I"m disagreeing with the idea to find more boxes or riln based on the context of the class and guild. Perception is a skill that is unlocked with the other guild classes that have similar abilities to this type, which is what I'm using to reason. The morale boost seems plausible though.
Combat Pragmatist: Get a reroll on your next weapon attack following a dirty trick. Stack up to three.
Being staggered is already pretty bad, combined with truestrike if you're by yourself, or side by side when grouped.
Ego Strike: Marauders can be boastful and self-assured, so turn your ego to your advantage. Each hit builds up Ego, and the more Ego you have, the more likely you are to follow up with an extra attack with your weapon and Ego resets. Getting hit reduces Ego.
I like this idea, but have the person need to call their strikes ahead of time. They would do this by activating the ability, which would have a duration tied to their morale, with a thirty second cooldown. Any successful strikes made increases your ego.
Egoist: Morale boosters increase Ego.
I could see the inverse happening instead, your ego bumping your morale.

An interesting ability they could have access to is one that increases the debuff from damaged limbs hit by them. So if you hit an infested's right arm, their right arm now has the debuff from their wound, as well as a debuff from the striker's ability. I think it shouldn't stack on multiple hits to the same location.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Fall

Post by Fall »

Damn girl, glad I could provide you with some material for your debate club practice haha.
You notice ((DEV Rias)) reaching discreetly into your crude threadbare wool pants! Seeing your attention, he quickly withdraws his hand.
Fall

Post by Fall »

I think what we're really missing are balance spenders, something like Mighty Blow. We have True Strike but everyone has that, even outside the warrior guild. I was trying to think of something good for Marauders, but everything I came up with seemed like it would also apply to Berserkers or Dreadnoughts. Can anyone think of anything that would be more unique to the Marauder?
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Navi wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:58 am Suckerpunch: Dirty trick to do a longer stagger than dirtkick. Sometimes Follow Punch becomes Suckerpunch.
Followup punch seems like a good way to move into an ability that lets you strike with an offhand weapon that is smaller and lighter than your primary striking weapon. If opportunities arise to punch someone, what's stopping that person from stabbing their target instead of punching? Could call it followup strike, and require followup punch to learn.
Okay. This is gold. I feel like this can definitely be expanded upon. I love the additional strikes for Dreadnoughts, and I want to see that expanded but putting that aside...

What's to stop the concept being adapted for other Guilds?
Duelists: Everyone can use a main-gauche in the off-hand, but maybe they have some abilities which let them use certain weapons for the occasional extra strike with the weapon, or some fancy move that otherwise gives them an advantage. Or, if they keep an empty hand, the chance to draw a pistol at point blank and blast someone in the chest.
Berserkers: Extra attack if they've another weapon out, or allow the chance for a double-strike to replace whatever attack they tried to use.
Nightblades: Quick sorcery usage, just BAM tendrils to the face. Ability to pick what you want your reaction ability to be out of a few choices.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

There are some good ideas here.

I particularly like the boast one. I'd say make it conditional, such as after you get an impressive crit kill on an enemy. It wouldn't be as effective as physicker therapy or bard's Word of Confidence, but I think it could be a fun and flavorful little boost.

The followup ideas are on my list. I've wanted the duelist off-hand pistol thing in particular for a long while now.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Fall

Post by Fall »

What if dirt kick proc happened before your attack, instead of after? Then when you swing your weapon, they're already staggered.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Fall wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:41 pm What if dirt kick proc happened before your attack, instead of after? Then when you swing your weapon, they're already staggered.
That does seem like it'd be more effective. I've made it so, but now I just need you to be honest about whether it feels OP or not. I might have it cause a slightly longer cooldown.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

You exclaim, "Pocket sand!"

dirt man
You retrieve some sand from your wool pants (dirty) and hurl it at a very tall hulking light-brown-haired adult man with fair skin and pale green eyes's face! Off(d1000(5x)):973 vs Def(d300(-5x)):42 = 931 (93%)
A direct hit to the face!
a very tall hulking light-brown-haired adult man with fair skin and pale green eyes draws back, squinting and blinking in an attempt to clear his eyes.
A very tall hulking light-brown-haired adult man with fair skin and pale green eyes is staggered!
[RT was: 3]
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO