Marauders abilities

Peerless warriors of varying types, from hulking armored dreadnoughts to stealthy light-footed nightblades.
Karjus

Re: Marauders abilities

Post by Karjus »

Ass.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Karjus wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:46 pmAss.
I mean. Bug report! Shouldn't "A" be capitalized in regards to the target?
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

Inspired by the conversation today, I did want to bring back up the thought of improvised combat.

For some context, I originally mentioned Marauders using things within different environs (rocks, bottles, anything handheld really including things on their person) and using them for surprise attacks (dirty tricks). The greedy party of me would love to see some form of it available to other warriors or crafty adventurers, but at the very least having that type of improvised combat available to Marauders could really help them stand out as versatile and capable fighters.
Fall

Post by Fall »

It's happening almost every attack so it's definitely OP right now, longer cooldown maybe? With the pocket sand right now I feel unstoppable! It's cool, but unfair.
You notice ((DEV Rias)) reaching discreetly into your crude threadbare wool pants! Seeing your attention, he quickly withdraws his hand.
Navi

Post by Navi »

Since it's an action followed by an attack, perhaps increasing the round-time you' acquire for doing both actions one after another. one second if you use things on the ground or already in your hands, two if you're retrieving it. Someone who falls for this, shouldn't be able to fall for it again, at least not right away, so maybe not a cooldown on the ability, but a cooldown on targets.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Fall

Post by Fall »

Cheap Shot: Spend 10 balance on this move, to lower the enemy rerolls against it. Add part of your artifice to your Melee roll. Cooldown 10.
You notice ((DEV Rias)) reaching discreetly into your crude threadbare wool pants! Seeing your attention, he quickly withdraws his hand.
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

Was brought up on the BBS earlier so I thought I'd add it here:

Marauder Ability: Improvised Weapon Proficiency

The mechanics behind this (or tactic feature) is that it will remove the balance decrease and increase the range of damage for improvised weapons (most tools, cutlery, that fish you just caught, etc.). Only half-joking on that last example. But the idea is to give a resourceful marauder the ability to utilize these unconventional weapons in a way that makes them actually useful in combat. Perhaps the durability won't be there and may not be as good as regular weapons (perhaps iron and up?), but for those wishing to add a little extra flavor to their marauder build or just want to make the most of the pipe-wrench you just crafted, could be a fun option for a specialization currently a little lacking in identity.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Marauders are actually one of my favorite classes in the game, conceptually. So I think about them a lot. I think making improvised weapon usage into a dirty trick would be really cool - have it so that if you have them open or free hand when you attack, there is a chance to grab something from your surrounding environment to use as a weapon (in addition to your base attack). I would probably give this dirty trick to rogues as well, just so they feel a little more different from the other adventurers, more of a rough and tumble bar going urban survivalist.

I would improve the ability for Marauders, by allowing them to grab objects from natural environments as well as urban environments. I would further allow them a benefit to reduce the balance when using improvised weapons as well as tools as weapons.

I could also see giving this to dreadnoughts, Just because they seem to be more pragmatic and brutal, And I could absolutely see a dreadnought going to town on someone with a lead pipe or logging ax.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Marauders now have Improvised Weapon Proficiency!

I'm excited to add more ideas from this thread. Next will probably be Cheap Shot - I think it'd be cool to have it reduce the target's defense rerolls based at least partially on the Marauder's Artifice. It could still be used without, but extra effectiveness for those Marauders particularly apt at deception.

And of course, I really really want to add in the "opportunistically grab something lying nearby and thwack the enemy with it" bit that has been brought up by multiple people and I think will be a fantastic iconic Marauder move. I just need to hammer out how exactly it will work.

Then some more Dirty Tricks to fit into the rotation, so we can tone down how frequently automatic Dirtkick triggers on any one particular target. I think it's been pretty unanimously agreed that it's just a tad too effective as currently implemented. It'll probably have a cooldown period on the target rather than on the attacker, meaning you could dirtkick 3 different people in rapid succession, but you couldn't rapidly dirtkick the same person 3 times in a row. This'll likely be a thing for most Dirty trick moves.

Thanks for all the great ideas, and please keep them coming!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

A dirty trick to hamstring your opponent with a slashing or hacking weapon would be cool! Unsure of the exact mechanics, but I'm thinking a debuff that persists for a little while that incurs either RT or TT when moving around.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."