The Flametip Plains wilderness region

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
Rias
DEV

The Flametip Plains wilderness region

Post by Rias »

The Flametip Plains wilderness region is now released! It's known for being home to the fallen Aetgardian city of Valeria, and it's rumored there's a serviceable tin mine somewhere near the ruined city. Unfortunately, the region is also known to have a significant Liberi presence, so travelers, explorers, and miners wishing to investigate are warned to be well on their guard.

There are some new flora (forage/trees) and fauna (tracking/hunting) in the region, and a few combat zones as sub-zones of one particular explorable area. A second area of multiple combat sub-zones is still in the works that will end up in the Flametip Plains region, but I didn't want to keep giving myself reasons to delay the region release, so the new zone will have to be for a future update. And of course, as with any region, it may well get additional future updates to help flesh the area out over time. For now though, the basics should all be there, and I hope people enjoy looking around! It was a blast to see the initial exploring party go in there and get up to trouble. (I was a little bummed at the low number of PC deaths, but hey, at least there were a couple! That was quite a formidable group that got together.)

As some have noticed, one zone was flagged as CvC/Garrison. Garrisoned areas will respawn their occupying faction's mobs extremely quickly so they never feel unoccupied, but will eventually run out of those mobs. Once a garrison-able area shows as *VULNERABLE*, no new mobs will spawn until the area is claimed and repopulated by another occupying faction. There is currently no way for PCs to claim a garrison-able area for their home faction (e.g. Shadgard). That will be for a future update. For now, know that when a garrison shows as *VULNERABLE* it's safe to go there (provided any lingering leftover mobs from the previous garrison have been mopped up) and do whatever might be done in that area. A new NPC faction will likely take it over again eventually though, so enjoy it while you can, and make friends with fighters so you can get an attack force ready for the next time a hostile garrison needs to be cleared out!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: The Flametip Plains wilderness region

Post by Rias »

I should probably mention that the combat zones are skill 340, 360, and 380 - so picking right up after wechuge. Enjoy, combatty people!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

I had an absolute blast today! I kept going ooo what's this...oh that's shiny and getting of track of what I wanted to do. That was intense, it's HUGE areas, and a lot of hidden stuff I noticed. Thanks for releasing it and I can't wait to see what more is in there!
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Rokal

Post by Rokal »

Rias wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:38 pm I should probably mention that the combat zones are skill 340, 360, and 380 - so picking right up after wechuge. Enjoy, combatty people!
Whats incredible is most of the people there were in the 100-125 range from what I saw, at least I know I was. Abilites like side by side and working one ability off another did a lot of good in evening the odds!

Teamwork was great.

I had a blast.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Oh yeah, watching the group combat overcome superior individual foes was really fun. It brought me back to my old days in another MUD when high level characters would take me and other lowbies to zones way over our heads in a big group and help us beat up all the baddies there. I'm really glad that same kind of thing is not only possible here, but seems to work well and people seem to enjoy doing it. I wish I had logged my lowbie warrior and joined you all as a tagalong, but I had to monitor the release for the inevitable bugs. Alas.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

That was so much fun! Major suspense for me, since right now I only have a sound for when mobs die.
I don't know what most others' skills are, but my combat skills aren't that great yet. It was cool how we worked together.
Teamwork is crucial.
Thanks so much for putting this new area in!

Will the new forageable stuff be in the wilnderness around there, generally not bombarded with dangerous things?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

With the usual disclaimer that one should never consider themselves "safe" outside the town walls in the Lost Lands - yes, the forage and the huntable prey critters are out in the generally safer open wilderness, and not in the dedicated combat zones.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

lol new stuff to hunt after I get rid of tracking T.T woe is me.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Oh, but of course! :)
I got you. Thanks so much for not putting them behind the wall of impenetrable evil.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I'm loving exploring the new area so far! I have found maybe a dozen or so rooms that are empty when I survey however - is that intentional or should I be bugging those? (Or are they unintentional AND I shouldn't be bugging those?)
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."