Coastal Cliffs are underutilized

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
ocayucos

Coastal Cliffs are underutilized

Post by ocayucos »

The Coastal Cliffs areas are my favorite set of areas in the game. I feel they are criminally underutilized right now though. There are ten! sub areas total here, yet there are only 3 that feel they have a purpose with mobs. To add insult to injury these mobs skills overlap with other areas so there's no reason to go here so far out of the way when you could go to closer places with mobs of same skill.

In summary there's just no reason to come to these areas except to look around at the room descriptions or if you're like me and just love their theme, but even I have to find reasons to come here. I fish here just because I like the areas, but I could fish the same things right from New Emberlight docks where it's much more convenient. I have avoided raising my combat skill because I don't want to leave these areas.

Here is the list of areas and some suggestions.

Coastal Forest: Empty but has some interesting things to look at. Bring back coral lizards and their vivid colored scales for skinning. I can see them being real popular for scale armor or decoration.

Coastal Cliffs: Cliff Crawlers live here. They're not hostile unless attacked and have no skill (M100 D100). Make them a little tougher.

Beach Cliffs: Nothing here except fishing. Add some kind of sea creature to hunt and possibly a diving spot, add some new types of fish.

Subterannean Riverbed: Nothing here except one interesting looking room. I'm not sure what could be added here but it could stand to have something added. Bring back the cave bats?

Hidden Cove: This is perfect as it is.

Sea Caves: Empty. Bring back the goliath crabs!

Cavern Quarters: Empty. It feels like it should be inhabited by the skeletal creatures in the other pirate areas. It also is described like it branches off to another third area but doesn't. There should be something to study in here to learn about its past.

Pirates' Den: Good how it is but it would be great to have something in here we could study and learn more about.

Pirates' Cove: I love this place. Only suggestion is add fishing with new fish and a study.

Ruined Galleon: Empty! Bring back the raiders or buccaneers or whatever they were called, I can't remember now. Let us explore belowdecks.
Rias
DEV

Re: Coastal Cliffs are underutilized

Post by Rias »

I'm glad you like the areas! There are plans to add more to them, and shifting the skill range of the current critters around a bit to avoid overlap. Not that overlap is a bad thing eventually, because options are always good, but I'd like to get the full skill range filled.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Some of those empty parts also used to have mobs that were removed or moved elsewhere because they were deemed "too easy" I think, but also because they didn't quite fit the area and it was a bit of a catch-all for super early game content. I'm sure you remember. (By the way, bring back the bloodhares!). There were humanoids there that were basically on par with ravens, but dropped tons of loot if I remember right. Anyway, I agree it could use a little love and attention and I'm glad Rias does too. I'm just trying to say, the area DID have more previously. Maybe when the other town gets added it can serve as a closer option for those folks too depending on where it gets plopped down.
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Bumping this! These are the best areas in the game to me, I'd be glad to see them get a little more added to them to make them feel more alive.
HeckTurtle

Post by HeckTurtle »

I don't really have anything constructive to add, but I did want to say that coastal cliffs have always been a favorite. I do miss the coral lizards, though, and reluctantly also the goliath crabs. All of these suggestions sound great and I hope to see more being added to the area later. Having more danger in the form of the goliath crabs would certainly add to the experience. I've always been more terrified of the them than the nethrim in the piratey spots.

Actually, trying to think of something to suggest to add to the beach itself for hunting. I know there were a couple different types of crabs throughout the entire area on CLOK, some angrier than the others, so an easy(?) option would be to add one of the missing ones to the beach. I'm unsure how weird it would be to suggest some kind of bird to hunt in the area, particularly for feathers to give fletchers more options to pick from, but that's another idea. Or just occasional bird corpses whose feathers can be scavenged sometimes, possibly discovered after a bit of digging. Or just seabird feeding, to add more RP stuff to do in the beach cliffs in general? Not that we can't RP out doing that already, but it would be fun to have that, like how we have the bug-catching in the coastal forest already. Mainly throwing out ideas as they come, but hopefully they're helpful ideas, if some probably requiring more work to implement.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I'd love to see some kind of sea bird added to that area, and to the area along the coast in general (even if only HUNTable). Plovers are a particular favorite of mine.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rilulth

Post by Rilulth »

I'd like to see puffins myself. Perhaps the beaks can be sellable.

I'll add some sea birds to my to-do list.
tulpa —
If we ever get player housing, Mistralite houseshares are going to be full of this stuff. "Damnit who let the thousand-year old angry venomous moths out of their velvet pouch again?"
Agelity

Post by Agelity »

Rilulth wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:23 pm I'd like to see puffins myself. Perhaps the beaks can be sellable.

I'll add some sea birds to my to-do list.
Puffins! \o/ That'd be neat, love Puffins <3

Perhaps some other seabirds that can give an alternative type of fletchable feather, for the more oceanic hunters who want a little more of a "themed" set of ranged weaponry.

I really do love the area, especially being the only ocean-like area in the game, but it does grow out of favor as a hunting ground rather quickly with less immediate reason to go back (unless you're eager for a lightning bug, which is a pretty valid reason). Any other reasons to return and just enjoy some time at the beach is always welcome :)
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Just thought I'd bump this because I'm currently resting on the Ruined Galleon, and it just seems wrong to have it be a safe spot in a haunted pirate cove full of ghouls and skeletons everywhere else!
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Several waterlogged sea-ghouls storm up the gangplank towards Orris, scrambling almost like animals to grab him and throw him back towards the dock.
Okay, I deserved that! That was too funny. Really got my heart pumping too.