Sea Passage aboard the Diaspora

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
Rias
DEV

Sea Passage aboard the Diaspora

Post by Rias »

As some have discovered for themselves, a schooner called the Diaspora has been seen occasionally at the New Emberlight docks, providing passage to and from Porto D'esilio. I mainly put this in to see how the mechanic works out and whether anyone finds any bugs with it. There's no way to exit the town of Porto D'esilio other than to hop back on the schooner and head back to New Emberlight, so there's not much to do over on that side other than wander around the town interior which hasn't changed since it was last accessible (other than a few outdated facilities being closed, pending updates). I'm still hemming and hawing over how to get Porto back into the game in a meaningful way, and whether I want it or Shadgard to be the primary town.

Still, having access to a port means there are all sorts of potential destinations that could be added to the game, whether for events or as starting points to new areas that can't be accessed by land travel from the main area. So I'm excited to have this new transport system working.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ocayucos

Re: Sea Passage aboard the Diaspora

Post by ocayucos »

I would vote for Porto D'esilio to be the primary town, but we have tried that a few times before and come back to Shadgard every time. I can get by in Emberlight if that's how it's going to be. I'm honestly just glad to have a place with a dock, and having ships like this to take us from place to place is great!

One idea. What if there was a chance to be boarded by pirates or sea creatures? You could either hide belowdecks, or stay up top to help fight them off, and depending on how the fight goes, you might get a reward for helping, or if the boarders win you might get robbed and thrown overboard and wash up on the coast somewhere.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

To be fair, we've gone back to Porto a number of times as well. I will admit I have a soft spot for Shadgard, though. And to be clear, this doesn't mean I'm going to keep one at the cost of removing the other.
Nice idea with the ship attacks. I do love opportunities to shake things up for players (and put their characters in harm's way).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:36 pmI'm still hemming and hawing over how to get Porto back into the game in a meaningful way, and whether I want it or Shadgard to be the primary town.
Have you considered making Porto D'esilio the only major settlement on a very near (like humanly swimmable distance) coastal island? You could add some more beaches and maybe a coastal cave system only accessible by diving and not have to worry too much about how it connects to the rest of the map.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I already know where it is geographically and actually have some wilderness set up around it. I'm happy with sea passage leading to it from Emberlight as is set up now, which could potentially be disrupted as time and events change things, and other routes discovered.

The worry is just that of splitting up the playerbase between multiple major settlements. I'd much prefer one be "the place to be" while the rest are minor outposts with limited facilities. I know player opinions vary on whether this is necessary or not, but I've already got my mind made up to, at least at the start and as long as the playerbase is small, keeping player access limited to one major settlement. It's out of a desire to keep the playerbase and community whole. I've been a part of too many games, MUD and otherwise, where I saw the community fracture and disintegrate as more and more major towns were opened and players were spread out too thin.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO