Coast

Discussion regarding the various areas out there.
ocayucos

Coast

Post by ocayucos »

I see we are back in Shadgard again and I see no way to get back to Porto D'esilio. I accept this but, will we be able to get to the coast again soon? I was in love with diving for mussels and seaglass, and the sea cliffs and caves. Will we be able to get back to PD? If not will it be viable to spend most of my time at the coast or will it be so far away that it won't be feasible other than special trips? Please let me know when you have the time, thanks.
Rias
DEV

Re: Coast

Post by Rias »

I'm a sucker for beaches and the briny sea air and all that too, having grown up near the coast and spent a lot of time at the beach. In my reconsidering of some of the geography, I'm planning on bringing the coast a lot closer to Shadgard, so it shouldn't be too far off for those who like the beach and the gulls and the sea-cliffs and all that fun stuff. While I'm still mulling over just what changes I'm making, and just how close I want it to be, I can give an example.

Here's what you and other CLOK veterans are familiar with. The red dot is where Shadgard is, and the sea is a long long way west:
map_coast_old.png
(9.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Now here's an example of how it might be changed:
map_coast_new.png
(12.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Keep in mind though that while the ocean will be a whole lot closer, the wilderness scale in COGG is different. But with the road auto-travel system, it should be fairly simple to get to the nearest ocean point. Yeah, it's fairly narrow at that point so it's not exactly the massive wide open sea right there, but it's still very much the ocean. Plus, this gives more opportunity to plunk in some islands and stuff that people can potentially travel to for events and the like.

Areas CLOK veterans are familiar with can still easily be fit in by shifting them a bit north from where they were before. Not that there was ever much directly west of Shadgard - most of it was to the northwest anyway.

I think this'll be a good way to keep things based in Shadgard and still have relatively easy coastline access for those who love it (myself included). I plan to include Porto D'esilio again sometime, but I do not want to split the playerbase up until it's large enough for that to not threaten to dissolve the sense of community. It may well show up before such a time for temporary events and the like.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ocayucos

Re: Coast

Post by ocayucos »

Wow, that is a lot closer. Okay, that makes me worry a lot less. Thank you!