Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Hear ye, hear ye!
Rias
DEV

Re: Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by Rias »

Wish wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 am how long would it be between hidden items being janitored
I haven't decided yet. I don't know that I want to give an exact time and set some kind of expectation that things will be safe when hidden, but I imagine it would be long enough for a specific event happening at a specific time. Just don't hide all the stuff until you're otherwise ready to start.

Also, now that we've got the Hanged Man available as a place for people to stash things even if they can't get into town, there's nothing else left on the preparation checklist for removing hidden item janitor-proofness. The switch will be flipped real soon!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm
Wish wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 am how long would it be between hidden items being janitored
I haven't decided yet. I don't know that I want to give an exact time and set some kind of expectation that things will be safe when hidden, but I imagine it would be long enough for a specific event happening at a specific time. Just don't hide all the stuff until you're otherwise ready to start.

Also, now that we've got the Hanged Man available as a place for people to stash things even if they can't get into town, there's nothing else left on the preparation checklist for removing hidden item janitor-proofness. The switch will be flipped real soon!
Will persistent containers in the world also become Janitored?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lexx416 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:24 pm Will persistent containers in the world also become Janitored?
If it's a permanent specifically janitor-proof container (as in the container itself never disappears) then its contents won't be janitored, if that's what you mean. Mobs may occasionally scavenge for stuff in their local areas however, so never assume anything is completely safe out there! If it's some out-of-the-way area or a particularly hidden/safe-looking container it will likely be safer than others, though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

It was posted in #announcements via the changelog, but just putting the information here as well: Hidden items are no longer janitor-proof. Actions that cause items to stick around (such as being recently interacted with) still apply to hidden items like any others, but hidden item stashes are no longer a viable option for item storage. Please use a vault or inn room for safe storage!

P.S. I do like the oft-proposed idea of a single limited more long-term hidden stash mechanic for our more bushcrafty types, so that's still on the to-consider list!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

Maina wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:41 pm As you have often said, it's unlikely people are trying to cause issues re: item counts and database bloat. I think players are just unaware of their impact. Could/have you consider something like the following to make it somewhat self-managing?

1. Track how much bloat each player is responsible for. Ideally with a break down between what is in their Inn Room, what is on their Farm, what is in their Vault, and what is on their person.
2. Display this information in a player-useful way in either their score or a new 'footprint'-type command. That is, instead of saying 'you are taking up 0.5% of the database' you say 'Your contribution to the database bloat is Moderately Excessive. Of this, your Vault is Moderate, your Inn Room is Excessive' etc etc etc
3. Display this bloat command on login so players are kept up-to-day on their contribution.
4. For excessively high bloat contributions, consider a penalty to encourage bringing it down. Maybe a penalty to XP gain or slower bucket drain scaled with the severity.

I think if players were aware of their impact and what is contributing to it, it might be at least somewhat self-solving.
While I dislike directly penalizing someone's progress do to hording, I do really like this idea, even just to show people how impactful they are, and perhaps what could be cleaned up to help. Even if it isn't going to make a world of difference, it could help a little, and also make people feel as if they are helping.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Rias wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:08 pm Per the changelog: Entering or leaving a room with instanced containers that contain items owned by the mover will now display a warning message informing the mover that their belongings should be gathered and stored somewhere safe, or risk the unattended items being eventually lost.

TL;DR: Instanced containers are no longer janitorproof/permanent storage!
We see a decent amount of items lost to this fairly frequently (and it often gets erroneously reported as a bug). Just a reminder to not ignore that warning when leaving these rooms! The items do actually get deleted after being left for too long. If you're just running over to grab something from your inn room or vault and then back you're fine, but if you're not going to be getting back to what you were doing fairly quickly, gather up your stuff and store it somewhere safe (bank vault, inn room).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Hello again from this thread! I'm posting as a warning that my attention is turning back to these issues yet again, as server performance has been getting bogged down bit by bit. On my list at the moment are:

- Farms. They have always been, and continue to be, the greatest contributors by a large margin when it comes to item storage issues. There will be limitations on utilization of storage furniture and handcarts, and likely some additional measures to discourage using farms as storage yards instead of as farms.
- Inn rooms. Keeping the floor janitorproof appears to be too lenient, to say nothing of the ability to drag additional storage furniture into the inn rooms. We will likely be returning to the floor of inn rooms being janitored, so only being able to use the storage items furnished with the room, and no dragging in additional storage furniture.
- Handcart/horse ownership count limitations. We're starting to see more and more private mobile storage caravans being utilized, which is honestly pretty neat, but it does bypass intended storage limitations that are meant to keep the overall item count sane and the server running smooth.

Please remember that this isn't being done to deliberately rain on anyone's parade or make their gameplay experience worse on purpose! These are necessary measures to keep the server running smooth and to make way for additional features that I want to implement, but they keep getting pushed back because item bloat is such a consistent issue.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
artus

Post by artus »

I hope something like armor stand doesn't count, because it doesn't make much sense placing that in a bank vault or in the middle of a farm full of rain and mud as of now.:)
An armor stand doesn't hold much anyway though tbh. Technically any on, not in, containers don't really hold much.
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Will this count for "wall" items? I like displaying my little knick-knacks on the wall.

And I second the armor stand. I'd also like to suggest that they, and crafted weapon stands (hopefully), digitize their contents much the same way as dye cases. I'd also like to suggest clothing digitization (if it'll help) by changing the fundamental code for the furniture pre-set on inn rooms, i.e. dressers to store leg worn clothing and wardrobes to store chest/robes/jackets. Just stick the boots under the bed. (Que "Whose bed have your boots been under?" - Shania Twain) This shouldn't effect player craftable versions for vault, farm, or home use (unless you want it to).

Since it sounds like this is something necessary, could Inn rooms get some additional containers added to them? The Hanged Man only has three, so I ended up adding a crate for additional storage since I'm a stickler about how things are organized.

Maybe add some desks that digitize scrolls and other loose sheets, in drawers while the top can store a few small writing tidbits or folders/portfolios.

Or I can just go through and sell off my junk to do my part!
Last edited by Squeak on Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Have you considered adding on a decay timer for certain types of perishable items? This might be the case partially, but I've noticed COGG is very lenient about the automatic deletion of some items.

I've always found it odd that I can unshelve an alt and clear out all their spoiled food instead of that food just disintegrating into the ether as one would expect from these kinds of games. Many (if not most) items would likely have sensical decay times in this regard - hunting, farming and animal husbandry byproducts, for example.