Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Hear ye, hear ye!
Rias
DEV

Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by Rias »

Just so everyone's aware that it's coming: Some additional item number limits will be implemented in the near future. Total number of items in a room, in a vault, etc. This will be a total of both items on the floor AND items within containers in the room. Items in a character's inventory will not count toward this. There may or may not be a limit on how many individual items can be within a container as well. (Note that bundles count as 1 item per entire bundle.)

Hidden items will also no longer be janitorproof soon, so go retrieve those hidden stashes. Instanced containers in public service areas (smithies, pottery tables, etc.) will also be looked at and considered, as they were never meant to be long-term safe storage. Long-term safe storage should only ever be in vaults and inn rooms.

THIS IS NOT MEANT AS A PUNITIVE ACTION. I want to make that clear: This is not a punishment for anything any one person did. I was hoping to not have to do it, but the extreme number of items amassed in one place in some cases, and just overall total in the database, is building up more and more and causing issues like lag. I've done what I could code-wise to try and avoid having to impose item total limits, but it just hasn't been able to keep up with the amount of new items being introduced and stored away every day, and things are slowly but steadily getting worse.

Along with all this, I plan to set more item types to auto-bundle. I know bundles can be wonky and weird to work with, but they really relieve a ton of item count stress. Hopefully we can polish how the bundle system works as we see it implemented more, so it becomes less of a hassle to deal with.

I am also rethinking the major component system. Having so many multi-component items counting as multiple items in the database - when they could technically just be one - adds a good deal to the overall item count. I don't want to lose any of the functionality, like looking at individual component pieces and them keeping their descriptions, the option of potentially breaking the item down into separate major components for use in making new items, or updating that pine haft to an oak haft, and stuff like that. I'm sure I can come up with something that'll work better code-wise while only having to deal with them as single items with a bit more data stored in that singular object, and hopefully it'll all look and feel exactly the same to players.

I'm sorry to have to impose these limiting factors. I may one day be able to optimize enough to be able to lift some of the limitations in the future. In the meantime, I ask for the understanding of the playerbase on this issue. I'll post updates as limits are actually implemented. This initial post is just a warning for the limitations to come in the near future - no new limitations or removals of janitor-proofing have happened yet.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by Rias »

As staff has been discussing this, here are some things that have come up that may be of interest to the playerbase:

- A type of "dye cabinet" constructed item where you put dyes in it, and it essentially deletes the dye item and stores the dye color data in the dye cabinet object. One can get the dyes out of it again, which will spawn the individual dye vial back as a separate item.
- Similarly, woodsheds can store applicable items in the same way. Put the item in the woodshed and the item is deleted while the woodshed object stores the basic details needed to spawn it back into a real item when retrieved from the woodshed.
- In the same vein: Collection cases that can be constructed for those collections of gems, seashells, sea-glass, and similar nick-knacks that people enjoy collecting in large amounts.
- Animal shelters/food troughs can work similarly for storing animal feed.
- Seeds will start bundling.
- Hidden items will last a significantly longer time before being janitored - but will still eventually be janitored. Still mulling over how long that might be.
- Wooden branch items may start showing up as "some branches" rather than "a branch" and the number produced from trees could then be reduced. Large branches would probably stay individual though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

A medical cabinet maybe? While I don't think this might be entirely warranted yet if the system gets expanded to require more variations of supplies it might be useful.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

I appreciate the tone of these messages, and also what you're trying to accomplish. I can definitely appreciate how harmful item bloat can be, depending on codebase, database size, etc. I know very little about how it's all handled behind the scenes, but i've certainly heard enough to know it's a real issue.

Regarding bundled items, would it still be possible to, say, "split 10 from large pine branch," then drop the bundle you're working with, use them, then store the components? (Dowels come to mind, for building projects, and also craftable items you may wish to sell to the market, but you don't need or want to see all 50 branches, for example, on the ground.)
Would it be possible to "split 5 from pumpkin seed" in order to just plant from that bundle of five seeds you have in your hand?

Thank you so much for pondering through this, not making sweeping changes that you later have to change because something in those changes didn't work out.

What are you thinking, if you're willing to share at this point, about how many crates, footlockers, or other storage containers would be allowed in a single vault room?

Will clothing storage containers be virtualized as well?
Rokal

Post by Rokal »

I like the idea of being able to store components.

Right now a woodshed only stores basic wooden items, but being able to store components like dowels in one would make it nice to stockpile some for those who make a living building various projects. I barely have the room in an existing woodshed to store the lumber for a decent-sized building project and be up for hire to build things for other farmers.
nobody

Post by nobody »

I love all those virtualized storage options. I think fishing line would also be a good potential candidate for bundling.
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Fishing line and hooks. Also arrows, bolts, bullets.
Worms should die if not used within a day or so. I'm not sure what would be left behind--I'm trying not to think about that too much. But I think only being able to keep them for a certain amount of time would be reasonable, since they're alive when you get them.
Unless you have a place to keep worms alive somewhere...

I very much love all these ideas.

Will metal ingots or blooms be bundled or virtualized?

How long will items be safe/unjanitored/whatever in instanced containers? (Sorry if I asked this earlier.)
nobody

Post by nobody »

Oh! Anomalum chalk could be bundled when it has full uses left and split off 'some leftover anomalum chalk' or 'some partially used anomalum chalk' as they are initially used. That would also solve the issue of people selling partially used anomalum chalk for full price to the market. I've wanted to buy some of the chalk off the market for a while, but just refuse to pay 500 riln for that piece that has 3 uses left.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Could this virtualization happen with smaller containers too? For example... Having a "spool" that can store and virtualize thread of the same color and type, a Carrying Case that can carry small items such as the aforementioned chalk or bandages, but digitizes it, and changes the weight of the storage item to match what it should based on the item data within?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Slowly having items on the market "disappear" might be good as well. Stimulates the fact it isn't just players buying things and stops it just from being as bloated a list.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."