Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Hear ye, hear ye!
Irylia

Re: Upcoming item count and storage limitations

Post by Irylia »

+1 for increased market item reduction and optimization. There's already flooding but it doesn't seem to take into account some factors like color. Browsing the market lately can cause decent lag depending on the category. It might be a good idea to slightly increase general flood limits and take out some of the specificity that allows people to sell over intended thresholds for certain item types. If someone wants a specific color, quality, etc. they can always post for direct sale options.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I wonder if vNPC purchasing could scale slightly and automatically with: 1.) active player count and 2.) variety of items based on modifiers (colors, wood types etc.) to represent a slight increase in population with the MUD is more active and an uptick in purchasing because people are seeing there's more to choose from.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
nobody

Post by nobody »

It is my understanding that browsing the market doesn't cause lag because it is done in a separate thread. You could `list dye`, and then walk into another room or start rummaging around in your bag and then the market list pops up. So it is slow, but it isn't lagging, it is deliberately delayed by running in a separate process but you can still look, talk, or otherwise interact with the mud.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Regarding wilderness janitoring: I'd like to suggest that bushcrafty or druidic types have an option outside whatever the new janitor limit is for some kind of safe wilderness caches. These would be containers only they can access via either a druidry spell or bushcrafting camouflage technique. These can be gm setup in specific locations so there's a limited number and would not be player instanced (gotta share), but would allow them to retain their wildernessy independence with a more permanent and qty-limited storage option. Everyone else can deal with the new hidden janitor like normal.
Sembiance

Post by Sembiance »

Could pine cones be bundled?
Marcuson

Post by Marcuson »

I believe bushels of wheat, the threshed and winnowed grain, and flour could all be considered for bundling. They're all functionally identical, and they don't have any "bites" or decay (at least not that I'm aware of).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

(For those that were unaware of this, please read the original post in this thread!)

Another reminder that these restrictions and updates will be implemented very soon, now that the Octum Festival is in swing and I'll be able to work on some other projects. We've had a crash as well as a few giant lag spike scares, and our population has increased quite a bit, making these updates all the more important. So go out there and gather up any hidden items you want to prevent from getting janitored, and gather all that stuff off the ground of your farm (structures are, of course, safe from janitoring).

I also want to repeat what I said in the original post: This is not a punitive action. It's an unfortunate necessity to keep the server running smoothly. Hopefully over time I can put in some code efficiency updates so the restrictions lessened, but for now I need to ensure the server continues to run well and try to avoid another crash.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Release lots of neat stuff, then tell us we shouldn't hoard it all. MONSTER.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rokal

Post by Rokal »

Rias wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:55 pm (For those that were unaware of this, please read the original post in this thread!)

Another reminder that these restrictions and updates will be implemented very soon, now that the Octum Festival is in swing and I'll be able to work on some other projects. We've had a crash as well as a few giant lag spike scares, and our population has increased quite a bit, making these updates all the more important. So go out there and gather up any hidden items you want to prevent from getting janitored, and gather all that stuff off the ground of your farm (structures are, of course, safe from janitoring).

I also want to repeat what I said in the original post: This is not a punitive action. It's an unfortunate necessity to keep the server running smoothly. Hopefully over time I can put in some code efficiency updates so the restrictions lessened, but for now I need to ensure the server continues to run well and try to avoid another crash.
Will things like tables, barrels, and the like be safe in farms? Furniture items and the like that take up small amounts of farmland plots? Once a farm gets to a certain size, having access to barrels for storing milk and the like is a big deal.
, if these kind of items are safe, what about items placed on top of tables?

Jars and the like are needed for things like butter, is all, and I'm worried if I leave them on the ground while working towards building up a couple full jars of butter to sell that they'll vanish on me if I leave the farm.

Further more, I think a change like this might mean wagons need to come out sooner? This is more a personal concern as someone who has nearly the max size a farm can be. a big enough farm can produce quite a few crops at a time, and a handcart can only hold so many. I often have to leave crops on the ground while I ship some out to sell (namely heavier crops like wheat, rimeveil, or pumpkins), I'm just wondering what your take on farm produce will be.

I've started staggering my crops so there isn't as much on the ground at one time, but for say, pumpkins, one can only move eighteen of them at a time with a handcart.

maybe a solution to the barrel thing, if they get hit by the janitor, could be a new construction recipe of farm casks to store say, honey, or milk? or in the future, brewed drinks?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Furniture items on farms will be safe, but they and their contents will still count toward the overall room limit.

Harvested items should be safe from the janitor for an hour.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO