Non-combat events

General discussion of in-game events.
nobody

Non-combat events

Post by nobody »

GAME channel wrote: [api] <Fellborn (Event Staff)> For the non-combat players, what sort of events interest you?
[api] <Tulpa> That dog!
[api] <Ravager> Crafting, special crafters showing up, something a group can do together besides battles.
[api] <Fellborn (Event Staff)> @Ravager, what do you mean by crafting/special crafting? My experience with running NPC item customization that in general most people weren't interested.
@Fellborn Another noncombat event that just popped to mind. Shadgard is a mining town. Perhaps one of the tunnels collapsed with npc miners on the other side. Players would have to dig them out who could, then drag the injured miners back so physickers can tend them. Could be a massive cave in if need be or something. Okay now I go
I've tried to capture the high points I could pick out.

Regarding Item customization, it's good fun and I've been able to attend two but know I missed several that weren't announced via the BBS or loud OOC alerts (I only periodically check the discord on weekends). In general though, more announcement and more advance notice should increase participation.

And then suggestion stuff - I really like Talyn's suggestion of a mine collapse and will similarly suggest a steamworks explosion/fire that calls for a bucket brigade. I also don't know how fitting it would be, but tornados could periodically call for everyone to help tie things down and get animals and people to shelter. And avalanches in the winter could require lots of folk to show up with shovels to excavate a shop and some NPCs. The coydog plot line was more low key than these big things, and people loved that. Along that line, I could suggest individual NPC plot lines:
- person is trying to get money together to start a business, asks PCs for donations. Maybe those donations attract the wrong kind of attention and then they reach out for protection. Or maybe they were just a charlatan and a reveal scene on that may well result in non-combat characters trying to hire out PC mercenaries to stop them from riding out of town with all the donations.
- person wants help locating a place or a person. Maybe this leads to the found person relating why they're lying low, maybe it just results in a back alley mugging. Maybe the lost person is a child lost in the mine or in the woods.
- a rancher's large animals busted loose, and is asking for community help rounding them up. Excellent work from PC ranchers might result in being given a youngling of that critter type?