Druidry Rituals

Communion with primal forces associated with animals, plants, and the very world itself.
Lexx416

Druidry Rituals

Post by Lexx416 »

Just a thread to post ideas for Druidry Rituals! Without seeing actual druidry, it's a bit hard to make very detailed or complex suggestions, but I figured having a place for folks (myself included) to throw down ideas for spells they'd like to see in game would be great.

Bloodhound
This is a buffing ritual, designed to primarily help with tracking. This would give a minor boost to perception, a fairly decent boost to tracking, as well as reducing roundtime fairly decently on the TRACK commands. As an addendum, it would be really cool if a druid could automatically pick up on the trail of anyone they've personally injured (melee or ranged) and caused to bleed with this, for X ticks. Maybe even allow them to hunt individuals and pick up their scent.

This could fall under the category of "shapeshifter-esque buffs that cause PCs to revert to animalistic states".
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Lexx416

Re: Druidry Rituals

Post by Lexx416 »

Goodberry

This ritual, when performed in a room with vegetation (edible foragables, produce, etc.), infuses the local plants and fungi with primal energy, temporarily increasing their nutrition value.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I forgot about the Bloodhound one, I like that!

Goodberry's effect looks like it could be handy, but would it be deemed worth it without some other kind of potential effect?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Rias wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:37 pm I forgot about the Bloodhound one, I like that!

Goodberry's effect looks like it could be handy, but would it be deemed worth it without some other kind of potential effect?
Maybe increase the nutrition as well as how long the food does not spoil?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Greenkenning (The Rite of the Green-Kenning)

This could probably be broken down into a couple of different rites and rituals, as it's more of a concept. But I love the idea of druidic magic that improves their awareness and utility in the Wilderness. Something where they open their senses and minds up to local plantlife, which allows for a larger Wilderness map could be really, really fun. Maybe adding more utility to the map as well, being able to notice things in large abundance (large groupings of forageables for instance, trailblazed paths) with special legends/symbols. It could also effectively increase a PC's tracking while in Wilderness rooms.

In order for it to be useful, it should probably have a longer duration (not as long as Growth, but more than 10 minutes). But I could also see downsides, such as having it heavily push a Druid towards Primal Transfusion for instance, having an overall lowered perception due to the amount of incoming information, as well as making the Druid particularly vulnerable to other druidic magic (even having the Raw Druid cast targetting the PC have an effect, perhaps a "calming" debuff that hampers combat skills, etc.)

Edited to add: I could also see this improving Foraging rolls for plant life, and perhaps allowing a druid to ID medicinal or harmful plants.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Spirit of the Porpoise

This ritual utilizes a Druid's bond to minorly metamorphose their body and mind causing a very thin layer of subdermal blubber to form, imbuing their muscle memory with improved swimming skills, and allowing for minor echolocation . This blubber provides a minor resistance to blunt force trauma, as well as increasing the threshold at which bleeding begins and increasing their natural warmth rating and cold resistance. The minor echolocation would allow the Druid to sense the presence of entities and exits in dark rooms.
alila

Post by alila »

Hi,

Maybe the first is best divided into two abilities, if the idea is one which seems interesting? It is almost certainly worth renaming, as the name is one used elsewhere in a different context.

Greensight
The ability to perceive and sense through materials with ties to the primal spirits of the world.
(Provides a reroll when foraging.
The ability to peer into adjacent rooms with trees, and the ability to peer through closed doors of primarily natural once-living materials, like wood or hide.
While channeling druidry, cast greensight.)
--but not containers or, eeww, equipment: it is too dark and cramped and muddled in between the layers and parts for a proper image! Greensight is more about the larger, less precise scale. And if anyone wonders about walls, maybe they are too dense? Um, at some point there will maybe have to be a little suspension of disbelief. :(

Maybe awareness and willpower would each help a little? Awareness straightforwardly to perceive and sort through that which is perceived, but willpower to remain centered in the face of an additional source of sensory information, alien and unfiltered. Or maybe awareness and intuition seem more reasonable for similar reasons?

The other suggestion was a kind of life sense ability. It would passively add some portion of druidry to a perception roll defending against or searching for most kinds of ambushes while the druidr was channeling, but not immediately detect there is one like the sorcerous soul sensing ability; the hope is they would conceptually compliment each other--one would alert the channeler to the presence of someone or something, the other would help find them, provided they have enough life or presence or whatever it is that allows for the possibility of a druidic bond.

Truthfully, it seems as if some perception-friendly abilities in general could be helpful. There are already so many stealth related ones, and a handful of additional ways to help balance it that are not all straightforward perception rerolls might be helpful?

Thank you,
-Alila
Last edited by alila on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
alila

Post by alila »

Hi,

This is me bothering the topic again!

Maybe a binding roots ability, but needing foraged seeds or cuttings from specific plants? Pine cones, or acorns, or even thornleaf stalks that would be less binding but prickly and a little painful. The druid would infuse the seed with primal energy, as a druidry roll of some description, and then--if necessary--throw it, which would be a ranged weapon roll? Of course, the seed would not be reusable.

It might also be interesting if growth could be channeled and incur ongoing roundtime, whether for rp or increased effectiveness while the druid is actively attempting to help the local plants, as part of the same or an entirely different ability?

Another maybe silly idea was the potential for empathetic links with animals or other druids: it would not make them friendly toward you if they are not already, but it could be a sign of trust; if they are hurt or demoralized, the initiator of the link will suffer morale and possibly sanity loss as echoes of the suffering travel through the link--especially so if they themselves are responsible for the harm--but maybe also benefit slightly from increases in the other's morale? The effects, both positive and negative, are amplified if the bond is reciprocal, or in the same room. Maybe while reciprocated or bonded to an animal which happens to be friendly with you it could also work as a much milder form of the side-by-side ability while in combat? Extra ominously, the bond should be a non-dismissible effect and last long enough the sanity or morale loss seems meaningfully concerning.

More shapeshifting is always interesting, but it seems those are more or less already planned for. my envy of the CLOK Chameleon ability is surely no surprise to anyone. Maybe claws helpful in climbing and used for skinning or butchering without a knife, rather than being anything overly useful in combat?

This is super long and scatterbrained, but thank you for at least skimming nonetheless!

-Alila
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I don't think this is enough to merit a full ritual, but having a way to use druidry to cause the overhead branches of a forested area to interweave themself into a small shelter to keep out the rain. Maybe there could be a Ritual that encompasses a small handful of minor utility spells like that?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Here's another only partially formed idea I had. I'm not sure what the usage would amount to, but some way to dowse/sense primal energies would be fun. Maybe as something tied to Commune. Maybe being able to leave primal triggers behind in rooms attached to strong emotions or visions. I had the idea originally in regards to sensing the vague direction of hidden abilities, but after that thinking about it I'm not convinced that would be for the best.

It would just be kind of cool to have something to do with primal forces in the world at large.