Druidic Commune

Communion with primal forces associated with animals, plants, and the very world itself.
Rias
DEV

Druidic Commune

Post by Rias »

The Druidic Commune ability is now available to Primalists, Rangers, and Berserkers! This was an oft-requested one from those who played druids in The Other Game. It essentially allows druids to communicate with each other in a limited fashion without ESP pendants (or actual words). It's seen a few slight updates for COGG, including being able to send an actual image of the druid's location rather than the name of the general they were in which always seemed weird to me. Some of the messaging will differ slightly based on the type of environment the druid is in when they send a commune. It was a lot of fun to work on!

More information can be found in-game by typing HELP DRUIDIC COMMUNE, or visiting the wiki page for it here: https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index. ... ic_Commune

This is a really fun one for flavor and utility, and I'm hoping it'll help the druidy types feel a closer kinship and connection just like it did in The Other Game (at least for those who want that). I do hope to continually add little updates and nuances as ideas strike me, so feel free to give feedback and make suggestions that remain within the scope of the ability.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Druidic Commune

Post by Rias »

P.S. This one is learned in the class guild hubs. No searching around the world required.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice if there was a toggle that let folks with this ability choose whether they want to be actively listening/communicating or not! Maybe have the toggle eat a little bit of sanity, and have a cooldown of a couple of hours.

Additionally, based on how Commune's been used since release, I've been thinking it might be nice if "Check In" was kept as is, but if a "greeting" option was also added. Currently, the trend seems to be for a druid to check in if they're saying hello, but check in is also used as a response. I think it's fine and works as is, but it might be nice to have just a little bit more nuance with the potential "call and response" through Commune.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Moose

Post by Moose »

I'm struggling to work out the syntax for accepting my avatar. I'm just going to copy and paste what I'm reading here and see if anyone can help. I submitted my request not long after this came out but after multiple failed attempts I'm still stuck.
When I type custom it says "This is the Custom command. Valid subcommands:
accept pending request
cancel
You currently have 1 pending custom requests. Of them, 1 have had an alternative suggested. Type custom pending to see the alternative(s) given."
When I type custom pending it says, "Your pending custom requests:
=== druid_avatar requests ===
Druid avatar here"
I replaced the text of my request obviously just in case that might be breaking a rule. Last of all. When I type custom accept druid_avatar, or custom accept avatar, or custom accept druid, it says, "You don't seem to have any pending druid_avatar request with an offered alternative."
If anyone can tell me what I'm very obviously doing wrong I'd appreciate it.
Lexx416

Re: Druidic Commune (expanding it a bit)

Post by Lexx416 »

Something that I think would be cool to see is a little bit of an expansion of Commune, tied to the Druidry skill - so at 300 druidry, any druid that also knows Commune and has an approved avatar can set limited Primal Triggers in rooms. The way in envision this working is sort of a way to leave behind messages for other Druids (not just those with Commune), through the Druidic Bond.

It would only work in rooms with the appropriate environs, and would append something similar to the line we get when we find an ability to the room. The difference would be: it would be something that is targetable by raw druid casting, and upon casting at the trigger a message would trigger to those that are sensitive to primal energies in the room, and be "signed" by the callsign of the Druid who left it behind.

In my mind, this is basically a way to leave localized commune-adjacent messages in rooms. The messages should probably come from a list of pre-written messages that are more about vibes than specific details (similar to commune), PCs should be limited in how many they can leave in the world (maybe only 1 for 300 Druidry, and then an additional at 500 and 700), with a duration of a few bells (minimum) with no upper limit and something like 50 to 100 seconds of duration per rank of druidry.

Ideally leaving a message would be very simialr to how Commune already works - you channel, and use COMMUNE with a new argument TRIGGER, and that lists the different messages you can leave behind. It'd be great if it was a mixture of the current commune messages we have, plus new ones that get a bit more specific (and maybe you unlock more the higher your druidry is which would help Primalists feel a bit more "in tune" with the force behind Druidry compared to non-primalists).

For the person encountering the trigger, I think it could look a bit like:

Code: Select all

You sense a confluence of primal energies here.

>druid
>cast confluence

You feel a sense of dread as you tap into the confluence left behind in this room, accompanied by the fleeting image of <callsign> disappearing into the <environment>

The image of a <callsign> emerges briefly from the <environment> forms in your mind.

etc. etc.
I don't have all of the callsign responses memorized or written down, so apologies for the sparse examples.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."