Shadow Cloak mistrust among NPCs

The harnessing and manipulation of nether.
Rias
DEV

Shadow Cloak mistrust among NPCs

Post by Rias »

Shadow Cloak is one of the more overt sorcerous abilities, shrouding the sorcerer in a cloak of nether and masking their identity. While handy for keeping one's identity unknown, it has the double edge potential downside of making the sorcerer look rather like a phantom or spectre or wraith, which isn't a good thing in most civilized areas. Many NPCs now (mechanically) find it difficult to distinguish between Shadow Cloaked individuals and common rampant hostile nethrim, and will react accordingly. Sorcerers are advised to dismiss the Shadow Cloak effect before approaching neutral or friendly NPCs in order to avoid unintentional conflict.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Dennis

Re: Shadow Cloak mistrust among NPCs

Post by Dennis »

This sounds pretty cool! Will dropping the cloak after being aggroed upon cause the NPC to no longer attack the person? E.G. you walk into town cloaked, get attacked. Flee, drop the cloak. (Independent of town reputation, of course)
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Correct, hostility will cease when the cloak effect is removed. Some factions may become increasingly bothered with repeat incidents, potentially leading to lasting reputation loss.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

How would reputation loss occur of they don't know it's you? Does this mean dropping it in front of them and is there any evaluation of the circumstances? Or would this be automatic?
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

It'd be determined on a case-by-case basis. I suppose dropping it right there while they watch could be automatic, though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Does this also mean that NPCs we attack while wearing a shadow cloak will not result in overt hostility when we see them normally (as it does now)?
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

No, the code doesn't currently consider that. I don't plan on fixing it until I figure out a decent way to prevent it from being a foolproof consequence-evasion technique.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

So basically npcs will attack on sight if we're wearing a cloak because they don't recognize us but if we fight back, we are booted from the town even though they didn't recognize us.

I dont plan on getting into that situation but... it seems inconsistent. And if I approach the town gate and forget about my cloak, I may wish to dirtkick or sweep to escape... basically... the current system means that fighting back in any way will result in reputation loss.This is a neat change but hope it gets improved in the future given that inconsistency.
drawstring pouch (open).
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Guards already do a face-check if you're masked. I would imagine a similar thing could be coded for entering town where they do a warning pre-attack. Or there could be an OOC reminder before entering these kinds of areas with a confirmation to continue your approach.
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Either of these would be helpful. I am sure I'm not alone in forgetting it's there...
drawstring pouch (open).