Sorcerous Augments

The harnessing and manipulation of nether.
TheCacklackian

Sorcerous Augments

Post by TheCacklackian »

This is an idea I had that would affect not only raw casting of sorcery, but the various spells as well possibly in combatative, and non combatative ways, influenced by a passage in the tome of the Blood Cult. Sorcery draws upon negative emotions, such as fear, rage, pain, and despair. This focuses such aspects into sorcery, allowing for differing techniques.

There are a couple of ways this could work...either 1, each augment acting as an ability, with the ability to take many, but only keep 1 augment active at a time.

Alternatively, I'd like to suggest the idea of mixed occult lapidary, which someone else had suggested a while ago. With focusses, we could have rings with gemstones using a special glyph, utilizing it to apply a pattern to the sorcery, similar to how elemancer staves worked(Or how I believed them to work.) or even a mix of both! The idea having specialized focuses apply these augments could even allow for super unique ones to exist for those who earn them through rp, or even rare ones found in lockboxes.

Not every augment would need to effect every spell, and this is really a rough idea. I could also see these augments, be them active abilities or focuses, affecting the user, causing them to see/hear things, and lose santiy or moral over time, which could feed into the 'sorcerous corruption'

Hatred-Infusing your sorcery with a livid anger, and the desire to cause suffering to others, raw casts now actively 'follow' targets(granting a reroll bonus based on the number of channels with a maximum of 2 positive rerolls). Rage however being one of the fastest burning emotions, draws far more energy than normal, causing the user far more fatigue for the same amount of time spent channeling.

Hatred-Synergies:
  • Binding Tendril-(Crushing Tendril)When infused with the power of raw fury, binding tendril deals a moderate amount of crush damage to the limb it grasps every time the target struggles to break free.
  • Shadow Orb-(Nether Storm)Shortening the duration of this ability substantial, however at the very end of the orb's lifetime, instead of collapsing on itself, the orb shatters into small slivers of nether that may harm anyone in the room other than the caster.(this would not do a lot of damage, nor should it have super high rolls or be untellegraphed. Probably 3/4 the ranged combat roll)

Sorrow-WIP

Envy-WIP

Fear-WIP
Rias
DEV

Re: Sorcerous Augments

Post by Rias »

Interesting suggestions, but I wanted to take a moment to advise against investing too much planning and effort into a system based on the glimpsed writings of a reclusive and dodgy NPC faction. Their ways are intentionally meant to be a bit different from the norm, rather than something to be integrated into common practices.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
TheCacklackian

Re: Sorcerous Augments

Post by TheCacklackian »

When I said influenced, I meant inspired, this system could be used in another fashion by the whole focus idea i mentioned earlier and have nothing to do with the blood cult writings! But yes, it's just an idea I had whilest doing other stuff!

Edit:But yes! I understand the purpose of your advice(I should have had this in the first part of the post but i half forgot what I was gonna write after starting the post.)