Corrosive Nether

The harnessing and manipulation of nether.
Talyn

Corrosive Nether

Post by Talyn »

So, Nether is supposed to be this very feared, very dangerous substance. It eats away at all it touches, which is why I would like to offer this suggestion which might actually help Sorcery in general but also bring people to the 'dark' side.

I'd like to propose Sorcery do extra durability damage. Of course, Ferrous equipment would hold up better than leather or even cloth. Not only would this make people wary of fighting nether but it would also produce harder upkeep for later players.

Channel 1 Sorcery: 5 - 8% durability damage
Channel 2 Sorcery: 9 - 10% Durability damage
Channel 3 Sorcery: 12 - 13% durability damage

This might be a bit hefty but from what I've gathered from nether is it's a very corrosive and nasty substance. It should feel spooky and deadly. It doesn't change the damage done or how a warlock/nightblade uses it or even NPC mobs using it. But if it hits you it should pack a punch to nonferrous equipment. (Not talking about minor components.)
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Talyn

Re: Corrosive Nether

Post by Talyn »

To add, I think NPC mobs should also do durability damage for using nether but I'm unsure how to balance this at the moment seeing how newbies might have issues with this fighting the skeletons in the graveyard that nether punch that might build up and destroy armor quickly.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

I don't disagree with the theme of this at all (it makes a lot of sense), but having nonferrous equipment essentially take like 8 hits in an extended PvP engagement before it becomes nonfunctional (or just less functional in general) is a kind of terrifying thing to think about. If you extend this to 16, or even 24 or 32 hits, sorcery-wielding classes essentially introduce a soft limit on the length people can participate in PvP before their gear just dies (for the classes not capable of wearing ferrous armour anyway).
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I don't know that we necessarily need to tempt people to the "dark side" - warlocks and nightblades are pretty popular, as is the sorcery skill, if you look at the demographics!

Additionally, I think Ephemeralis raises a great point.
Ephemeralis wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:28 am I don't disagree with the theme of this at all (it makes a lot of sense), but having nonferrous equipment essentially take like 8 hits in an extended PvP engagement before it becomes nonfunctional (or just less functional in general) is a kind of terrifying thing to think about. If you extend this to 16, or even 24 or 32 hits, sorcery-wielding classes essentially introduce a soft limit on the length people can participate in PvP before their gear just dies (for the classes not capable of wearing ferrous armour anyway).
This would essentially mean that Warlocks and Nightblades (especailly nightblades with their potential range cap of 700 and stealth cap of 600) could render equipment made of a rare or limited access material completely unrepairable, which seems like a bummer. I think that there's merit to emulating the caustic nature of Nether, but I think it would be better served as a Warlock ability that allows for them to "improve" their Nether bolt to linger and do damage over time to a body part (and by extension durability damage to armor associated with the body part) at the cost of more energy per raw cast, or something similar/along those lines.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Maina

Post by Maina »

Is this not already the case? I know I've been able to destroy NPC leather limb/extremity armor in a single hit of three-channel nether and two or three hits for chestpieces. Or are people able to destroy this armor just as easily with other damage types?