On Occult Discovery

Discussion about the occult and arcana in general. (Don't call it "magic" if you want to be taken seriously by scholars.)
Rias
DEV

On Occult Discovery

Post by Rias »

While committing recent work to the changelog today, I almost listed a bunch of major occult glyphs that have been added. After some hesitation, I thought it'd be pretty fun to leave much of the occult diagram knowledge and arts up to discovery by PCs. So, in addition to sprinkling some scrolls and whatnot out there in out-of-the-way places to be discovered, I'll also be adding some to the treasure system.

These glyphs have a way of being elusive to less-focused minds. To start, one could stare directly at a glyph for several moments and yet still forget it completely the moment they looked away. Additionally, the glyphs seem to "know" when they're being analyzed and will fade away as they're studied by those determined to memorize them. It'll take some time for arcanists to STUDY these glyphs enough to be able to start committing them to memory - each study seems to reveal more details about the glyph than before. Once committed to memory, the glyph can then be used as one DRAWs arcane diagrams. (Note: The glyphs continue to be tricky - those drawn by practitioners cannot be studied by others. Perhaps the ability to draw a known glyph that can be studied by one unfamiliar with it is an art unto itself.)

Of course, learning a glyph's written form doesn't tell you what it will actually do, so a little experimentation is required. Be bold in the name of occult science!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Re: On Occult Discovery

Post by Lexx416 »

Awesome! I'm so looking forward to playing around with occult stuff.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rastaban

Re: On Occult Discovery

Post by Rastaban »

Oh, I cannot wait!