Hydromancy and Pyromancy

Discussion about the occult and arcana in general. (Don't call it "magic" if you want to be taken seriously by scholars.)
ocayucos

Hydromancy and Pyromancy

Post by ocayucos »

This is my attempt to lobby for pyromancy and hydromancy. First I will explain why I left out the other two elements.

Geomancy is channeling earth. According to previous lore, the denser something is, the harder it is to conjure or manipulate with channeling. It might be better to just say it can't be accomplished with earth and stone because they're too dense of materials, and leave this one out. This will also remove the worry Rias has with people being able to conjure solid matter.

Aeromancy is channeling air. I see we have a force school which can probably do anything aeromancy could, plus more. So, there wouldn't be much point to conjuring air. But if there were enough ideas to keep air and make it unique and different from force, I'm not against keeping it.

Now on to the two classics I am arguing to keep.

Pyromancy is channeling fire. It's not solid matter, and it is pretty straightforward in its uses. Mostly for damaging, as well as providing light and warmth. I think there should be enough cool ideas to make a whole school of spells based around fire. It can be the magic school used by the people who want to be spell users mostly for damage and combat reasons.

Hydromancy is channeling water. I'm biased about this one, since it's the one I want the most. It can be very diverse being in a liquid form and also utilizing some lighter forms like mist and steam, and pressurized forms for a few things. Here are some ideas.
  • Water Barrier A channeled spherical barrier of spinning water around yourself. Defense against attacks, especially ranged attacks like brushing arrows aside. Also slightly affects your own attacks so it's a tradeoff. It would be great if it could be used on allies as well.
  • Water Landing If you fall from climbing or other means, you can break your fall with the burst of water. This would have to be automatic to be useful, probably.
  • Water Jet Knock over an enemy with a jet of water. Preferably also a version that just sprays off a friendly target to clean them without knocking over.
  • Water Nova Knock over everyone in the room who isn't part of your group.
  • Pressurized Sphere Bolt Throw a pressurized ball of water at an enemy to do some damage.
  • Pressurized Sphere Shield Block attacks with a pressurized sphere of water, using Shield skill.
  • Steam Jet Heat damage on an enemy. Preferably also a version to help friends warm up in cold weather.
  • Fog Create fog in the area to help with hiding. Advanced version to put the caster in hiding as part of the spell. Very advanced version to hide the caster's whole group.
  • Mist Cloak While channeling keep a cloak of mist around yourself to make it harder to see or target you with attacks, and maybe mask your identity. It also makes it hard for you to see, though.
I can come up with more! I'd like to see how this is received before I put more thought into it.
Rias
DEV

Re: Hydromancy and Pyromancy

Post by Rias »

I'm still leaning away from the classical elements, but posting specific spell ideas does help keep my interest. I'll continue to consider.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I think an interesting compromise would be if the classical elements were shifted more to ritual and rote based casting, and away from quick, easily accessible channeling. This could result in things like specializing in magical traps, enchanting equipment, and the creation of limited use charms that perform things like the creation of water (really, this should just be a spell that aggregates condensation, or a spell that stores water into the charm), an instant torch, portable warming devices (think hand warmers!), maybe portable cooling devices if hydromancy could be finagled to do that, in the lore of the game.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Hm. Even if it was less active things, I would love to see some form of these magics available. Even if they required preparing and casting beforehand, or storing a charge in the focus and only being able to use them for a limited time before having to recharge them, or something.

But on the other hand, if they just really don't fit the vision of the game, I'll make do! I'm kind of interested in the idea of sonomancy.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I might have something of a compromise in mind. Maybe. Less of a dedicated school of occult arcana or keystone of a character's build, but it might satisfy thematic desires. For now I'm going to have to leave you with that vague semi-reassurance though, sorry. It's something I prefer to mull over a bit longer before saying anything and giving people reasons to make assumptions.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

Thanks. And like I said, if it ends up just not fitting at all, I'm sure we can make do without. I appreciate your patience and consideration.
Valmorian

Post by Valmorian »

You could always use water for healing? the human body is 70% water, and blood is a liquid so maybe theres something to that I'll have to think of more and offer a proper suggestion, there is always weathercontrol/tempering could make a lot of money, to lessen the rain, or increase the likelyhood of it raining, for crops and the like, even small localized storms just for a field or two