Discussion and Advice on Armor Use

The place to discuss combat gear.
Marcuson

Discussion and Advice on Armor Use

Post by Marcuson »

Many people have questions about Armor Use, so I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where people could ask questions about it as well as post helpful observations. I'll include the public discussion from the Questions channel that prompted this post:
[#QUESTION] <Southpaw> How does one know when their armor skill is high enough? I'm not sure I understand the numbers at the bottom when I type armor.

[#QUESTION] <Gorth> It's a matter of choice.

[#QUESTION] <Southpaw> Ok. wasn't sure if 700 would make any sort of real different versus 500 or something.

[#QUESTION] [discord] <Eldiana> It's a matter of preference and armor difference. Like those who use light armor are gonna need less than those with heavy or medium. There's an armor encumbrance roll at the bottom when you type armor. People usually like the difference of that to be about 100 or more.

[#QUESTION] <Southpaw> Ok that helps. My die is almost 200 over so I'm probably good.

[#QUESTION] <Gorth> I know most people, including me on my light armor character, prefer a two to one ratio. Some people with heavier armor prefer a three to one ration, and some others are holding out for the abilities we've been told may be based on Armor Use.

[#QUESTION] <Marcuson> Maybe this will help you: my character wears only light armor, putting his Armor Encumbrance at 97. His Armor Use skill was 300, giving him a roll of d400. I believe that was probably overkill. I've reduced the skill to 200, and it seems fine.

[#QUESTION] <Gorth> My Duelist has 100 skill, and she almost never sees the armor encumbrance reduction.

[#QUESTION] <Southpaw> Ok that makes more sense. Good to know about possible changes down the road too. Thanks everyone.
I'm also pretty intrigued at the idea of Armor Use-related abilities.
Gorth

Re: Discussion and Advice on Armor Use

Post by Gorth »

Re: Armor Use abilities: I heard that offhand, I can't remember where for the life of me, so I should probably be less free with my random sprigs of information that I can't site. I could be wrong, though I suspect I'm not.

Anyway, both of my character slots are filled, otherwise I'd just go grab the numbers. If anyone with a character that doesn't gain Armor Encumbrance Reductions would be willing to post the numbers for the encumbrance of each piece of each armor, that would be apreciated for information's sake.

Armor Encumbrance Reductions Per Class:
Berserker {'medium': 19, 'light', 19}
Dreadnought {'heavy': 30}
Duelist {'light': 30}
Guardian {'heavy': 30}
Marauder {'medium': 30, 'light', 9, 'heavy': 9}
Nightblade {'light': 19}

I'll lay out some more information as I gather it, I've now, for some reason decided collecting this information is very interesting to me.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Karjus

Re: Discussion and Advice on Armor Use

Post by Karjus »

Armor Encumbrance
The cuirass of a suit currently always has double the amount of every other piece, so I will list numbers as (Cuirass/Everything Else - Full Suit). Where a full suit isn't available, I don't list that number. I have weight numbers as well, but no easy rules so I need to actually take the time to format.
  • Brigandine: 50/25 - 200
  • Leather: 30/15 - 120
  • Padded: 20/10 - 70
  • Ridgeleather: 80/10 - 320
  • Scaled: 40/20
  • Splint: 44/22 - 176
  • Wooden Plate: ?/35 (Only helmet available)
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."