Thoughts on non-warriors and combat

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
nobody

Thoughts on non-warriors and combat

Post by nobody »

I provided some feedback in the voice chat yesterday that I think warriors may feel put out if all of the cooler/flashier combat abilities go to non-warriors, and I struggled with how to word it. After more thinking, I have a couple more concrete points for consideration:
  • Abilities that provide combat control (like the Bard's word abilities) can potentially make non-warriors capable of taking down warriors with significantly more combat skill. I haven't played a Bard here, so I don't actually know if the word abilities are problematic in the same way (probably not, since ability cool-downs are a thing here and warriors can train meditation) so this point is mostly a 'keep this in mind as more abilities are suggested and developed.'
  • As guild specific and general/non-guild abilities expand the combat capabilities of non-warriors, there may be a feeling of dissatisfaction with warriors feeling like 'one-trick-ponies'. That isn't a very large problem right now because warriors that choose to do so could be just as skilled as any crafter, but in the long run that likely won't hold true. Capturable resource sites will help with this, as warriors should shine there, but it would also be good if there were (again, in the long term), areas that warriors might be capable of handling solo while non-warriors simply cannot, as well as some combat areas that even warriors will need to tackle as groups. That's probably already planned, but I felt it worth mentioning.