Standard defense no longer a roll

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Standard defense no longer a roll

Post by Rias »

Edit: **** NOTE!! The info in this thread is now obsolete. ****

The standard attack defense mechanic is now a flat number, rather than a roll. The base number is 100, after which applicable skill is added (Melee for parry, Dodge for dodge, Shield for block). It is still affected by a multiplier based on stances.

What this means is that defense numbers are now far more predictable and dependable. You're going to get your highest possible value when in a defensive stance - no die roll variance. However, your defense is going to be guaranteed to be lower when you take an offensive stance, so you have to be much more careful about your stance timing - you won't have an additional random roll to fall back on. The offensive stance numbers for defense are pretty darned low, so this will almost certainly be tweaked. I encourage players to hop in there and play with it and see how it feels, and then post feedback here so I can adjust it.

Offense calculations have not changed, meaning there's still some variance in there based on stance.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Candelori

Re: Standard defense no longer a roll

Post by Candelori »

The extreme drops in defense certainly make timing for offensive stance more important for players. However, this also affects NPCs, whom never seem to concentrate on defense, but only on offense. They are therefore extremely easy to hit in combat, even when I am attacking from a defensive stance. I have now shifted from staying in offensive stance at all times to staying in defensive stance at all times: even with my limited attack rolls from a defensive stance, a hostile enemy's defense in their offensive stance never seems to be anywhere above 15.

Unfortunately, combat seems even less dangerous and interactive now than it was before.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Well, shoot. Back to the drawing board!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ocayucos

Post by ocayucos »

I can confirm this. In defense there is no chance infested vagrants will ever hit me, but I can hit them easily. I still learn from fighting them.