Combat Updates: More getting hit, less instant death

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Re: Combat Updates: More getting hit, less instant death

Post by Rias »

Chest is the easiest vital location to hit, and neck and head are indeed harder to successfully target. I don't feel they need to be given the same chance just because they have the same amount of health. I tend to only go for the neck or head if the target has chest armor while the neck or head are left exposed or at least have lesser protection.

Eye hit locations will probably be going away soon. I forgot they existed, and I'd rather not maintain a workaround to the intentional shift away from instant kill options.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Considering that ranged weapons are still capable of instant kills at the moment and eyes are nearly impossible to hit when aiming, I am not sure allowing that work around is actually a benefit to those that would choose to use it. Try cloning my character and aiming for the eyes if you don't believe me. Aiming for the eyes at the moment is actually way slower kills because its the equivalent of not aiming at all.

When you initially discussed this on a call, you had stated that instakills would not be the norm but you had also said that you didn't plan on disabling them completely and they should still be possible in some scenarios where one gets very lucky. It seems like they're being selectively disabled at the moment for melee warriors with massive extra advantages being provided to (stealth) ranged combat currently compared to other combat which apparently have not had their DF adjusted down. I know this is still being adjusted though so will wait and see how it ends up.

Also, I would again question the rationale for having head be so much harder to hit than chest. Wearing a wood mask is not that much extra encumbrance and does not increase armor level so it is actually easier for a PC to armor. Saying that it is a hit location that is less likely to be armored is only true for mobs. There is no downside to doing so as a player that I'm aware of besides the armor penalty which isn't that high (no hits to perception, etc from heavier armor helms). This is more of an imbalance for CvC versus CvE.

Basically, the current system only allows reliable targeting of the chest so everyone will always aim for the chest. If that's what's intended then ignore this. Sure... head could be a less reliable target but with all current precision bonuses, I still hit it less than half the time when aiming for it. Again, what this does is make everyone only aim at the chest. I would personally prefer to be able to adjust combat to my opponent and have a reason to actually select another vital location as a target.
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

Speaking as someone who never could rely on dealing instant death to foes, I am very much enjoying these updates. Making use of the auto-battle system, my encounters are still resolving in what I would consider a timely fashion when aiming at the chest. Additionally, I am receiving more wounds than ever, which certainly makes combat feel more lively and exciting. I would still suggest the effectiveness of heavy armor be reduced somewhat, as I do not feel as though I should feel quite this impervious at this stage, considering my current level, skills, and kit of standard equipment. Even as a Guardian, I feel I should have a greater fear of receiving blows than I do now, but that is perhaps a subject for another topic.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

With further experience, this time battling foes approximately 30% more skilled than I, I've had an enormously enjoyable time. This time I was forced to retreat to town with a severe bleeding chest wound and a major bleeding arm wound, as well as slight and minor wounds all about my battered body. This while wearing a full suit of ridgeleather armor. My experience bucket was quite full, making the trip feel worthwhile. To have a near-death experience certainly felt more exhilarating than my experiences previous to these change which were more slow and methodical, but rather boring with the lack of any real danger or variance in results. I do so far much prefer this experience overall, though I imagine there is still some adjusting to do. From the perspective of a Guardian in heavy armor wielding weapon and shield, I am quite frankly having a blast.

My only suggestion thus far would be to decrease the cost of healing in the infirmary.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Candelori wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:28 pm My only suggestion thus far would be to decrease the cost of healing in the infirmary.
That has been brought up and as a physicker I wouldn't be opposed. Another thing that might be valuable is re-enabling natural healing (though perhaps at a slowed rate, somewhere between 1 damage per wound per 24 hours and 2 damage per wound per 8 hours).