Critical hit instant kill

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Umbra

Critical hit instant kill

Post by Umbra »

I feel like cogg tried to move away from the random 1 shot you die when you dont expect it but I was wrong, it makes constitution almost not worth taking still being able to just die in 1 unlucky roll. But example being taking 40 damage from a dagger to the abdomen while wearing hard leather breastplate and primary con. So from 120 to dead from 40 damage, I kinda assume the same for plate when it comes out, take 10 damage but since it is a crit you die?
Umbra

Re: Critical hit instant kill

Post by Umbra »

Critical hit would already be max damage which is very good in clok/cogg games where your weapon can do more than the max health thresh hold and perhaps this could be an ability for an assassin like class
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

If you suffered a critical hit from a dagger against rigid leather, then the dagger attack roll must have been an extreme success over a very low defense roll. This kind of situation being possible is intentional: If someone makes an attack roll much higher than your defense, you're going to hurt for it even in armor. The best advice I can give is to do your best to time your attacks well and never assume armor will save you from any attack. It increases your chances of survival significantly, but in the end there's still chance involved. Nobody should feel 100% confidence in any situation, be that offensively or defensively. A dagger versus heavy armor is not ideal for the dagger-wielder and I'd place my bets on the guy in the heavy armor, but the guy with the dagger should still have a chance. Daggers should not be made useless by simply wearing heavy armor.

Constitution gives you more of a buffer against mortal blows (among other benefits) but it is not meant to be an immunity against the chance to suffer mortal blows. Once again, it's about increasing your odds. But with odds there's always going to be a chance that you get that instance of exceptional bad luck and suffer for it.

10 damage against a PC should never result in a mortal blow. No damage type causes a mortal blow at 10% hit location damage. Pierce damage is among the most-resisted damage types, but it also has the lowest crit threshold at 40%. Meaning it tends to do much less damage overall against armor, but if the attacker can get that really good strike in they can still land a critical hit for a potentially mortal blow.

Ultimately, everyone should always remain on their toes regardless of how well they believe the odds are stacked in their favor or how good their gear is.

None of this is to say I won't consider tweaking some of the numbers, but there always being a chance of exceptionally bad luck (or good luck!) is by design.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Acarin

Post by Acarin »

Great idea on adding a new nightblade passive that shifts the pierce mortal wound threshold down to 25%. That's a brilliant idea that you came up with...
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Umbra

Post by Umbra »

I do agree that it makes sense and is already the system I just wish the death wasn't so instantaneous, rather than the critical wound ideas I had, they could have been more extreme than that just realistically unless you're "overkilled" in such a way like in game 100+ damage it makes sense to die instantly likely multiple organs were damaged, squished entirely, etc. but imagine just taking a stab wound from a dagger to the stomach and just immediate death..
yeah you're dieing and in a horrible way but dont just fall over dead in my opinion not to mention they would only be healable by physicker or similar.