Balancing balance

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Candelori

Balancing balance

Post by Candelori »

The new balance level floor of -100 does make watching balance more important, but unfortunately so far has simply meant that I must retreat to wait longer in order to let it return to 0. This has, at least for me, made the combat experience overall less satisfying with the significantly increased downtime. I would suggest possibly returning it to the previous of -25, but making the effects of balance per point greater, at least in the negative.

I would also like to recommend more ways of managing balance. While the previous combat model of several moves per weapon was arguably over-complicated, it did give the option of performing moves focused on regaining balance rather than doing damage, and more than the occasional feint currently available to us which is on a cooldown timer. As it is now, at least before learning more balance-gaining maneuvers, combat is quite tedious in that one must so often retreat and simply wait to regain balance.

Overall, I am enjoying the flow of combat quite a bit compared to its original form in CLOK, which was so heavily based on complete random chance. I look forward to further refinement, and thank you again for allowing us to test and being receptive to feedback.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Re: Balancing balance

Post by Rias »

Okay, I've set it back to -25 at lowest, but balance now has twice the effect on rolls.

I'll think more about active balance management in combat and how that might be better handled.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO