Bowstrings for sale - how to improve crafted ones?

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Bowstrings for sale - how to improve crafted ones?

Post by Rias »

Bowstrings have been added to the shop stock of the Lost Ranger Hunter's Lounge in Shadgard. Now that bowstrings break with use, I thought that at least common quality ones should be able to be purchased off-the-shelf at any time.

With that done though, we need to keep player-crafted bowstrings relevant by making them more desirable than the off-the-shelf ones in some way or other. If anyone can think of any ways to make crafted ones the preferable option, I'm all ears. An obvious one being increased durability, but that's rather boring, and beyond that I'm not really sure what to consider. I'm not the most knowledgable about archery and the influence of a bow's bowstring specifically. My gut tells me anything damage-related would be more from the stave than the string (barring occult effects), but I may well be wrong about that.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Bonehead

Re: Bowstrings for sale - how to improve crafted ones?

Post by Bonehead »

Perhaps small bonuses to rolls/accuracy?
Wut?
Navi

Post by Navi »

A small portion of the bow's energy would be increased with a better quality bowstring. A better bowstring might also make shots quieter, granting better stealth rolls, or a reroll for stealth as your system here seems to work. The quality of the bow itself would likely improve stealth as well.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
nobody

Post by nobody »

All the mechanical bits that I can think of are:
  • Durability
  • Accuracy (rolls)
  • Accuracy (rerolls)
  • Damage (rolls)
  • Damage (rerolls - is that a thing?)
  • Firing roundtime
  • Maximum range (not in any way implemented, but I recall there was some kind of discussion of implementing a way to simulate firing from a distance so that enemies had to spend traveltime/roundtime approaching - maximum range would increase that traveltime or roundtime)
  • Weight
  • Cost (included for completeness, but you don't want player made to be desirable because it's cheaper else there's little supply-side incentive)