Breakable bowstrings

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Breakable bowstrings

Post by Rias »

Bowstrings are now breakable, taking a little damage every time a bow or crossbow is used in combat. Keep a spare handy! This should help crafters continue to feel useful by there being an ongoing demand for replacement bowstrings.

There's something else bowstring-related that caused me to implement this in the first place, but I'm going to avoid giving any details OOCly and let you all discover it on your own. I will say that it's not crafting-related.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Re: Breakable bowstrings

Post by Rias »

Now that it's been seen and played with, I'll say a bit more about it. It's not supposed to be a big secret or anything, I just wanted someone to have the fun of discovering and playing with it without knowing beforehand what it was. And to that point, anyone who wants to keep that feeling of discovery, there be spoilers ahead.

- They break quickly
- Only so many can exist in-game at once
- They have a shelf life based on how long they've existed after being found

The idea is to have a fun, useful, limited-use item that players are encouraged to actually use and enjoy when they find it, rather than have people stash it away and add to an ever-growing stockpile for that rainy day at some distant point in the future (I call this the Mega-Elixir Effect). Having only so many allowed to exist in-game at once isn't a lore thing, but rather a simulated rarity to prevent them from becoming the expected standard. And the shelf life (even when unused) is so people don't find them and stash them for later, preventing anyone else from ever finding them.

TL;DR: There's no use in saving them long-term because they'll just decay, so when you find one, use it! (Or trade/sell it so someone else who will.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

P.S. The shelf life is multiple days, so don't feel pressured to use it immediately immediately or anything. If it's been a few days and you realize you still haven't used it though, might want to bust it out before it expires.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I recently had one and strung it, and stored the flatbow away for a day. Bug Report 3344 addressed this and I tossed the bugged item away, but I couldn't help but feel that the decay timer for unused bowstrings has changed from several days to just under a day, as that particular flatbow had only been in storage for maybe 8 hours unused. Just some followup detail to my bug report that may not have been included re: duration.

Thanks!

PS. They're reallly cool and it should be illegal how cool they are.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
nobody

Post by nobody »

Dennis wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:51 am I recently had one and strung it, and stored the flatbow away for a day. Bug Report 3344 addressed this and I tossed the bugged item away, but I couldn't help but feel that the decay timer for unused bowstrings has changed from several days to just under a day, as that particular flatbow had only been in storage for maybe 8 hours unused. Just some followup detail to my bug report that may not have been included re: duration.

Thanks!

PS. They're reallly cool and it should be illegal how cool they are.
If it is one that you bought at market rather than one you found in a box, it might have been decaying away in the market for a few days before you bought it.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Probably should be some way to tell how long it has been decaying, and a reduced cost, or maybe have it finally just "poof" off the market, kind of like spoiled meat that has been on the market for years. >.<
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."