Challenge formula update, CONSIDER update

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Challenge formula update, CONSIDER update

Post by Rias »

The formula used to determine challenge of attacker vs target has been updated, based on difference percentage rather than a fixed range. This affects experience/practice gains via combat, and means there should be a little more wiggle room as a combat skill goes up, and it should feel a bit more fair. (This is something I forgot to do when I made some big changes to how combat worked a long while back.)

The updates should also address some wonkiness regarding when experience/practice were gained and how much, so it should now be far more consistent. I must have been up late when I wrote that old code - it was convoluted. But as always, if something seems off, please report it with the BUG command or post about it here on the BBS if you're not sure it's an actual bug. I can't address and fix an issue if I don't know it exists! I'm not the best numbers person, so general feedback on how the updates feel is appreciated as well.

Also, the CONSIDER command has been updated, and now gives target challenge estimation for both Melee and Ranged. It will also indicate when cases of significant advantage over a target will not yield experience/practice. This should hopefully serve as a useful anti-frustration tool, taking out some of the guesswork and uncertainty when it comes to ensuring those sweet numbers go up.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO