Graceful Dodge clarification

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Graceful Dodge clarification

Post by Rias »

I updated the description of Graceful Dodge to be more clear: It substitutes 85% Acrobatics skill or 75% Dancing skill as Dodge skill in combat calculations (whichever is highest). So if you had 100 Acrobatics, that would be treated as if you had 85 Dodge. If you had 500 Dancing, that would be treated as if you had 375 Dodge. Note that it's treated as that amount of Dodge skill, and is not added directly to dodge rolls. That means with the current setup where 50% of your Dodge skill is added to your dodge defense, this ability will add 42.5% Acrobatics OR 37.5% Dancing to dodge defense - again, whichever is higher.

This ability is aimed at characters who already planned to take the Acrobatics or Dancing skills anyway, allowing them to have some defensive capability without also having to spend points on Dodge. This ability's dodge bonuses from Dancing or Acrobatics will always be inferior to those of someone who invested the same amount of points into Dodge.

So in a nutshell: it's a lesser dodge substitution for those who aren't interested in specifically training the Dodge skill.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Re: Graceful Dodge clarification

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be a neat (aesthetic/RP) bonus for this ability if it changed the flavor text for dodges! Maybe a set of semi randomized dodge lines, that could change depending on if it's dodging a ranged vs melee attack? Instead of just dodging out of the way, just little blurbs describing gracefully dancing or twisting out of the way (depending on which skill is higher, Dance or Acrobatics).
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Can you clarify just one more thing Rias? With Graceful dodge, I understand it takes the higher number out of the choices but does it also account your melee/range skill as well much like dodge? I'm having a hard time calculating how much my graceful dodge would really give as the Combat command or even Combat Goal only shows your normal dodge skill.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Nevermind! I realized that the combat goal does in fact show graceful dodge numbers as well.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias