Balance and Risk management - suggestions wanted

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Balance and Risk management - suggestions wanted

Post by Rias »

Combat's a little more involved this time round, with managing the Balance and Risk stats as well as energy and, of course, wounds. To that end, I need lots of combat moves/stances/so-on to give ways for people to manage these things. Examples:

- Feint: A low-roundtime move that lowers your target's Balance but otherwise does nothing. Has a small cooldown period.

- Lunge: Risk-based move. Can only be used when in positive Balance. A powerful lunge with a weapon capable of Piercing damage, using up extra Balance but with higher damage potential.

- Block: Focus on blocking attacks with a shield while you adjust your position and footing. Increased block chance and Balance generation during the move's roundtime.

- Tackle: Can only be used when in positive Balance. Using this move lowers your own Balance by a lot, but if you connect, your target's Balance is lowered even more, plus they end up knocked down and stunned long enough for you to make a followup attack. Subject to an attack of opportunity by the target, so best only try this when wearing heavier armor or wielding a shield, or if the target is stunned or otherwise disabled.

Stuff like that. And stuff NOT like that that you might come up with. Because I'm asking for suggestions to fill out the combat system and make it feel more involved, interesting, and fun.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Edoras

Re: Balance and Risk management - suggestions wanted

Post by Edoras »

Deflect: Focus on diverting attacks with your weapon, with a reduced rate of attack on your own. A successful deflection against a light weapon reduces your opponent's balance at no drawback to you, but a successful deflection of a heavier weapon reduces your own balance in addition to that of your opponent. Failing to fully deflect an opponents blow comes at a larger cost to your own balance, in addition to the glancing damage from the blow itself.
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Smash - Can only be used when you're well balanced. Does good damage and unbalances your opponent, but reduces your balance a lot on use.

Wild Swing - Can be used regardless of balance/risk, but is easily defended against. If it connects however, does decent damage and reduces your opponents balance.

Last Chance - Can only be used when prone. A highly risky maneuver, with a failure leaving you pretty much totally exposed but if successful drives your opponent back causing roundtime, and heavy damage.

Sunder - A heavy blow to your opponent's shield with the intent of smashing it out of the way to make them vulnerable to a follow up strike. If successful, your opponent loses some balance, put into roundtime, and loses their block defense for during that roundtime.

Rage - The character goes into a terrible rage, feeding off their injuries and anger. During this period of time, their defenses are lowered, but their risk based attacks have a much higher chance of success as they wade into combat uncaring of the risk.

Shoulder Smash - If you've positive balance, you can try and use your bulk to knock your opponent askew a little during the press of melee. The heavier the type of armor you're wearing, the more likely you'll succeed. Your opponent will lose balance and suffer a couple of seconds of roundtime.

Riposte - An attack only usable for a small window of time after parrying an attack from your opponent. Can only be used while in decent balance, and does decent damage while being very hard to defend against.

There's a few.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Freestyle: Can be used if dancing is at competent or better. Move without any particular order or structure. Increased dodge chance and Balance generation during the move's roundtime.

[Musicality]: Can be used if dancing is at competent or better. Lead: Sets your opponents balance equal to yours. Follow: Sets your balance equal to your opponents. Change the tempo of the battlefield!

War dance: Can be used if dancing is at competent or better. In preparation for battle, perform a tribalistic stylish dance in order to evoke a feeling of ferocity in the audience members. Temporary boost in morale. Heavy energy cost, can be performed as an ensemble for greater effect.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'm liking what I see. Keep em coming!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Xariff

Post by Xariff »

Intimidate: Use your whits, personality or physique to strike fear into your enemy and cause them to lose balance at a critical moment.

Cowardliness: You may not be strong or smart but fear motivates you to be quick and sheepishly avoid most blows for a time. aAAaaAaaAEEEEE!
stratcat

Post by stratcat »

Noctere wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 am Intimidate: Use your whits, personality or physique to strike fear into your enemy and cause them to lose balance at a critical moment.
I'm kind of wondering if intimidate shouldn't instead cause a bit of RT for the opponent (while the target recovers from that WHAT THE HELL moment), and possibly disrupt their command queue and/or any defensive stance they current have. I'd picture it as a sudden, piercing yell.

EDIT:
I just want to add that in my humble opinion, with the system you're going for you shouldn't be afraid of making debuff type moves (the ones that don't do much direct damage, but instead set up the opponent for failure) extra powerful, just to ensure they are indeed used and appreciated. I feel like that kind of stuff should be the meat and potatoes of combat here, hugely rewarded when successfully applied. Especially when they are very situational.