Max skill per level

For combat stuff that doesn't fit into any of the other forums.
Rias
DEV

Max skill per level

Post by Rias »

The following combat-centric skills now have a maximum of 10 per level:

- Melee Combat
- Ranged Combat
- Dodge
- Shield
- Stealth
- Perception

This means at, say, level 3, you could only have 30 maximum skill in any of the above (each).

The armor skills are intentionally not a part of this list, but may be added after further consideration.

I realize 10/level seems like a pretty low number. Let's give it some time and see how it feels, though, and consider that the journey might be more fun when it's not completed so quickly. The idea here is to pace combat progression, and prevent people from massive leaps in skill and skipping areas dedicated to combat practice, since combat is designed to be a slow paced progression with an array of different combat areas covering different skill levels. I think this will be overall more satisfying than the potential of combat-focused characters maxing out somewhere in the 20s level range and then thinking, "Well, what do I do now?"
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Candelori

Re: Max skill per level

Post by Candelori »

I do feel better about the combat aspect of the game this way. Not only do I feel it will cause the enjoyment of the combat areas and the sense of progression to last longer, but I'm sure the eventual mastery at the end of the long road will feel much more fulfilling than simply having spent a large investment of points in order to achieve it as quickly as possible. Thank you for your considerations and continuous adjustments to hone the combat system.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Stealth and Perception skill increases are no longer restricted to 10 ranks per level, but when considered specifically for combat ambush mechanics these skills will have their effectiveness capped at the character's level * 10.

What this mean is that a character can now train as much Stealth and Perception as they want per level, and these skills will be fully effective when performing or detecting (respectively) hiding, sneaking from room to room, and other non-combat actions. When used for combat ambush actions however (such as attacking from hiding, or detecting such an attack), their effectiveness will cap at the character's level multiplied by 10. This is to help them be as effective as a character wants them to be without level restrictions for their base/primary purposes, while still meeting the 10-per-level restriction in combat situations to match primary combat skills being limited to 10 ranks per level.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
tulpa

Post by tulpa »

Is it intended that you can circumvent this per-level cap on combat skills with the Graceful Dodge ability?

It seems the Acrobatics skill roll is unrestricted in combat.

For example at level 5, with 75.xx Acrobatics and 50 Dodge, while meeting the criteria of the ability, I roll Dodge(d158(x+[x]x)). Am I missing something?
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

tulpa wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:03 am Is it intended that you can circumvent this per-level cap on combat skills with the Graceful Dodge ability?

It seems the Acrobatics skill roll is unrestricted in combat.

For example at level 5, with 75.xx Acrobatics and 50 Dodge, while meeting the criteria of the ability, I roll Dodge(d158(x+[x]x)). Am I missing something?
It's also possible to get rolls like that (higher than your level cap should allow) with Mining if you fight with a pickaxe - if you have 200 mining, you'll roll as if you had 100 melee, even if you're under level 10. I haven't tested it with a logging axed and woodcutting, but I'm guessing it's the same there too - presumably unintended so I bugged it, but interested to see if that's the case.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."