Cobbling and Shoemakers

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Lexx416

Cobbling and Shoemakers

Post by Lexx416 »

It'd be nice if we could make shoes! Rather than have some other "cobbling" skill, I think that either leatherworkers or tailors should be able to make shoes. The actual process for making them is a little complicated, involving a last (a wooden model/form of a foot), but I think it could be simplified into a few steps.
  • Create a pair of Shoe/Boot Uppers (made from cloth or leather, using the appropriate skill - this should require a mallet, and must be done in a cobbler's workshop to emulate the molding of the material with a Last
  • Create a pair of Outsoles (from wood, cloth, or leather, with <respectively> Woodworking, Tailoring, or Leatherworking)
  • Create a pair of Insoles (from cloth or leather, see Uppers)
The next step would differ, depending on if you wanted a slipper style shoe (a soft soled shoe with no insole) or more traditional footwear.

Slipper Style/Turnshoes
While holding a Pair of Shoe Uppers and a Pair of Insoles use ATTACH with a needle and thread in your inventory to sew the insole to the upper, which would create a soft-soled shoe.

Common Footwear
While holding a Pair of Insoles and a Pair of Outsoles, use ATTACH with a mallet and pegs/nails in your inventory to attach them together to form a Pair of Shoe Soles. Next, hold the Pair of Shoe Uppers and a Pair of Shoe Soles with a mallet and pegs/nails or a needle and thread in your inventory to attach the Uppers and Soles to form the pair of shoes.

I'd have it so that each shoe type had it's own Upper (boot, dress shoe, etc.), and that the Upper type determined the style of shoe at the end of it all.

Additionally, we could have woven or leatherworked laces that could be used with the MODIFY command to string them in shoes for fun customization.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Agelity

Re: Cobbling and Shoemakers

Post by Agelity »

Been a while since cobbling's been discussed and I love the idea of having some recipes for shoes that could potentially be a separate crafting ability for tailors, leatherworkers, and maybe even woodworkers (at least, I love the idea of having craftable clogs in game). While tailors may be better suited for things like slippers (and weavers with bast shoes), and leatherworkers for your more traditional boots, but having advanced recipes that require components from all of these various professions - including metalworking (all the buckles!) - could be a neat option for artisans or perhaps even a general crafting capability.