Pottery feedback and suggestions

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Candelori

Pottery feedback and suggestions

Post by Candelori »

I have recently taken up pottery and have been enjoying it. I thought I would share some feedback and suggestions based on my experiences thus far.

- The 1-hour drying time does feel excessive. When it comes to metalworkers waiting for the smelter and heated items to cool, and tanners waiting for hides to soak, both need only wait a matter of minutes, I believe. I would suggest reducing pottery drying time to a similar level.
- The process of producing tempered clay seems a touch tedious, particularly as the repetitive building block craft upon which all other clay crafts are based. The management of buckets, time to produce a single piece, and necessity of repeating the same commands for every iteration is easily my least favorite part of the pottery experience. I would recommend allowing digging clay and sand without buckets, reducing the time or increasing the output per tempered clay produced, and perhaps implementing some means of automatically producing as much tempered clay as possible with the available materials rather than requiring a new command input and confirmation for each individual piece. The last can be done with triggers, which I will be spending some time this afternoon attempting to set up, but having it as a feature would be greatly appreciated.
- As I recommended in another thread, the use of a pottery wheel in relevant clay crafts would be an interesting addition for immersion alone, if not a requirement or having any additional effects. I do feel that using a pottery wheel to increase production rate of relevant crafts or increase their quality would be a merited and appreciated addition among potters.
- Allow for a pre-determined set of visual designs to be applied to finished but wet clay crafts that are large enough to support such decorations. The image of a sun, a forest scene, and so on.
- Allow for the selection of adjectives for some clay crafts. For example, a large jar could be tall, short, slender, stout, wide, broad, narrow, straight, tapering, or bulbous.
- Allow for painting designs on clay crafts after they are dry, if they do not already have a design etched into them.
- A future addition of firing in kilns is mentioned on the wiki; I look forward to this addition.
- Task: Produce a number of replacement tiles for the bathhouse
- Task: Produce a number of roof shingles for a local builder
- Task: Produce a number of bricks for a local builder
- Task: Produce a number of clay pipes for a local builder

Lastly, here are some additional recipe ideas.

- goblet
- simple ring
- figurine
- clay doll
- decorative mask
- pitcher
- ewer
- vase
- urn
- totem
- button
- charm
- whistle
- ocarina
- smoking pipe
- bricks for use in construction
- tiles for use in construction or for mere decoration
- roof shingles for use in construction
- single-use tablets that can be written on while still wet
- flowerpot
- mortar and pestle
- incense-holder
- statuette

I am enjoying my recent foray into crafting much more than I thought I would, and I am very glad to have some hobbies for my character that can help him feel he can contribute to society in ways other than combat, even if that will remain his focus.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
tacos

Re: Pottery feedback and suggestions

Post by tacos »

I been doing pottery for a while, and waiting for stuff to dry for a hour is a bit to much, same with gathering all that clay and sand.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Thank you for the feedback! Per recent changelogs:

- Digging for clay, dirt, and sand no longer requires a bucket, instead simply adding the produced items to the room contents.
- Wet clay items will now dry in about 5 minutes instead of 1 hour.

Also: sand, clay chunks, and tempered clay all now auto-bundle. Yay for less item bloat!

There are some other good suggestions here that I'll add to the to-do list. Hopefully the above helps make pottery less tedious.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

I really love the improvements to digging clay and sand. I know it might be a steeper request, but it might be a good idea to bundle tempered clay as well, especially if the suggestion to improve tempered clay production is implemented.
tacos

Post by tacos »

think that already bundles. I see it bundle at 99. Would it be possable to have it go to the cart or what ever container is currently open when it gets to 99 for tempered clay?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Oops. Tempered clay was supposed to be bundling already, but I forgot to do one last thing. It should be bundling now.

I also reduced the steps for making tempered clay.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
tacos

Post by tacos »

thanks!.
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

Thank you very much for these updates. The tempered clay process is much less tedious now, and the bundles make item management more convenient.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.