Brickwork As An Interdisciplinary Crafting Venture

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Lexx416

Brickwork As An Interdisciplinary Crafting Venture

Post by Lexx416 »

Brickmaking isn't very complicated IRL, but the IRL process seems to blur the lines between what in Cogg would be considered Masonry AND Pottery. I think it's important to keep both crafts relevant, and that more advanced crafts that rely on one another is a great way to do that.

Making brickwork a joint effort where Pottery is required to make it and Masonry to lay the courses of brick and cement/mortar them in place for structures would be a cool way to tie those crafts together a little bit.

Pottery would be used to make bricks (this could be as complicated as having several recipes of different types of bricks, ranging from Mudbricks to Fired bricks, unlocked at different skill levels as recipes - I'd probably minimum put them in at the 200-300 range to encourage specialization) from molds obtained from woodworkers.

Masons would then take bricks and lay them out with construction, as long as they had mortar in the room (make mortar a Masonry recipe - again, you could get complicated and make different kinds of mortars at varying skill difficulties), to build structures.

To add to this, I think all structures like this that are outdoors should take durability damage over time (with inclement weather worsening the damage) - allow for minor repairs to maintain things, using the relevant skill. Adding that durability drain on structures would allow brick structures to offer a higher durability at the increased complexity of the craft, as well as the need to cooperate or dip into two skills at a fairly significant level for most people. Again, if you wanted to get complicated, you could make different complexities of brick and mortar increase the overall durability, with more complicated methods being more durable.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."