Skinning investments

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Acarin

Skinning investments

Post by Acarin »

So I picked up 200 skinning so that I could successful skin wyrmlings and am now wondering about the benefits of actually advancing skinning.

Wyrm scales, which can't be skinned without 200 skill,(when everything else Ive been found can be skinned at 1 skill) only sell for 26 riln each. Getting 5 per wyrm means that I make 130 riln per wyrm and use 100 energy to skin.
Compare that to 450 for skinning a deer or an elk (pelt + antler) or similar for a wechuge... while I would suggest re-examining this sale price, I'm also trying to understand the advantages of increasing skinning skill.

I assume that skinning will eventually impact quality of skinned pelts? Will it also reduce rt and energy requirement? Will there continue to be hard caps for some mobs that determine whether they can be skinning or not? Just trying to understand the eventual intent behind the skill so I can make informed build decisions. Currently, it's limited for non-trackers. Will there eventually be many skinnable mobs or just a handful?
You reach toward ((DEV Rias)) ... Pull(d225([1]x)):214 vs Mark(d1100):714 = -500 (-222%)
You notice ((DEV Rias)) glance your way, causing you to quickly withdraw your hand from his wool
drawstring pouch (open).
Roundtime: 5 seconds.
Rias
DEV

Re: Skinning investments

Post by Rias »

Skinning investment as it is currently is useful for being able to provide special types of skins for crafting, like those wyrmling scales for scale armor. Affecting skin quality will eventually be a thing, and I also intend to rework skinning so it's more chance-based instead of hard thresholds. A novice skinner is going to have a hard time getting wyrm scales, but it wouldn't be impossible - they'd just need better RNG luck. Some especially unique skins might still require certain threshold or abilities, though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO