Player crafted dyes

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
nobody

Player crafted dyes

Post by nobody »

Player crafted dyes popped up on the discord and a few good points were made:
  • Mixing multiple dyes would be a very complex programming task
  • Dyes are a very good riln sink, and that would go away with player crafted dyes
  • Crafting dyes devalues dyes as treasure

For the first, I suggest a more hand-waved approach. The aura list already has a lot of colors and they're sorted into nice color buckets (white/gray/black, red, pink, orange, brown, yellow, green, blue, purple). I propose using that as a basis to require two non-matching dye components in that category, or relevant mixture categories, to create the dye. For example, to produce a fuchsia dye (pink category), you need two non-identical pink base items (like pink flowers and pink berries, or two different kinds of pink berries, but never two identical pink items) or one white base item and one red base item. It's still a lot of work to code all of the various gatherable things (are juniper berries purple and black dye base items, or purple and blue dye base items?), so it may still not be worth it, but it easily solves the issue of mixing dyes (a yellow dye is a yellow-dye base). It's a little cheap, because you couldn't mix midnight blue dye and dark blue dye and get pale blue dye, but that's a level of hand-waving I can live with.

For the other two issues, I suggest selling dye solution in dye shops as an ingredient used in all dyes, costing at least 100 riln (so created dyes are still a riln sink). Common dyes could be made with two relevant color base items and one bottle of dye solution. Uncommon and rare dyes additionally require 'color refining reagent', which can only be found in loot boxes (same treasure tier/rarity as rare dyes), with uncommon dyes requiring 1, and rare dyes requiring 3, and should have a market price of at least 200 riln. Thus all dyes would remain riln sinks, with player-crafted dyes costing slightly more riln, and dyers are still dependent on treasure hunting.