Stacked stone

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
nobody

Stacked stone

Post by nobody »

10/07/20 Crafting: New construction recipe: stacked stone well
I would love to see more construction with stone like this. The most obvious to me is stacked stone walls as an alternative method of fencing farm land (some good images here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_stone), but stone benches and the like would be nice too. I'd suggest stone altars but if the wilderness became littered with them it'd be a little sad and I don't think anyone would put them on their farm lands.

Edit to add: Fell down the rabbit hole of that wikipedia article and had to share:
In Peru in the 15th century AD, the Inca made use of otherwise unusable slopes by building dry stone walls to create terraces. They also employed this mode of construction for freestanding walls. Their ashlar type construction in Machu Picchu uses the classic Inca architectural style of polished dry stone walls of regular shape. The Incas were masters of this technique, in which blocks of stone are cut to fit together tightly without mortar. Many junctions are so perfect that not even a knife fits between the stones. The structures have persisted in the high earthquake region because of the flexibility of the walls, and because in their double wall architecture, the two portions of the walls incline into each other.
It's just so impressive!
Rias
DEV

Re: Stacked stone

Post by Rias »

Stacked stone as an alternative to wood for various existing projects is a good idea, and something I've been mulling over for a while. I'd love to expand Construction beyond farms (and carts) at some point, but I'd want to restrict it to certain rooms and scenarios. Allowing the building of some basic fortifications for specific contested points would be a lot of fun. Of course the fortifications would get attacked and beaten down and have to be repaired/rebuilt fairly frequently.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO