Farm access exploits

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Kalista

Re: Farm access exploits

Post by Kalista »

I like the idea that the owner should be doing alot of the work, and I also agree with the janitoring feature.
Another suggestion is being able to bolt down furnature, and making sure that janitor excludes handcarts and other important things.
For structures, adding a general purpose supply shed should help with the clutter, and maybe a toolshed to keep tools in. I generally use crates, but I guess I'd have to rethink that if everything gets picked up.
land rented by skill is an excellent idea, and there have been alot of valid points. someone with little to no skill has little reason to have a huge sprawling farm, let alone the riln to keep up with the rent.
All I know is I love the sense of community we had, able to move freely between allowed farms and help each other out. I would miss that, and have to second Bonehead. Half the reason I started my farm is to band together a few people willing to help out. I've given a few people some extra work, riln and experience.
I'm curious to see how everything turns out, and hopefully we can keep a balance without making anyone too irritated.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Good call on the furniture. I think it'd be perfectly reasonable to exclude furniture items from being janitored, at least up to a point. Furniture clutter is still clutter! So probably make furniture janitor-proof on farms up to a maximum amount, and if that maximum is reached, the user is notified both when the furniture is placed as well as when they go to leave their farm, to prevent things getting janitored without people realizing it would happen.

Handcarts ... are kind of part of the clutter problem, in that they serve as permanent storage, can be left anywhere (even if that's not safe for the owner), and you can fit a whole bunch of them onto a single farm, so people just gather a bunch of carts and fill them with stuff, and we're back to excess clutter but just in a different place. So this might be another case where the number of them present at once may have to be limited for technical reasons.

Construction is brought up a lot: Keep in mind that once you start a construction project, all the components essentially disappear and you're left with just a single item that is the "partially-constructed <whatever>". This is good. These partially-constructed projects will not be janitored at all.

Also: Hewn timbers have been brought up a few times, and the fact that they're a storage issue due to their massive size and weight. Another thing I think we can say can be janitor-proof up to a certain amount, in order to accommodate having a SMALL reserve of timbers waiting for you to be ready to use them in a project.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

All right, I think I've got a pretty solid plan in place for all this stuff. It might take a little doing, so in the meantime I've reversed the farmland owner restriction on the various harvest/production commands, but know that soon(tm) there will be a requirement for the owner to do some of the work themselves in order for visitors to be allowed to do work on the owner's land.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO