Lockpicks: They degrade, they break, they're for sale

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Lockpicks: They degrade, they break, they're for sale

Post by Rias »

Some recent lockpicking updates:

- When lockpicks degrade (going from "common" to "cheap" and "terrible" and so on), they now actually do a worse job at picking.
- When lockpicks degrade low enough, they break and become unusable.
- Old Lews now sells lockpicks at the locksmith shop on Brewery Row in Shadgard. He'll only sell to people who know how to use them (anyone who has the Locksmithing skill). Tip: The more expensive ones made of sturdier materials will last longer.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
ThresherAle

Re: Lockpicks: They degrade, they break, they're for sale

Post by ThresherAle »

Steel picks might last too long. I was starting to think the one I have was bugged, but it finally went from "damaged" to "heavily damaged" today. Still feels like I've gone through waaaay too many boxes with it, though. Any other locksmiths have thoughts on the matter?
A black entity asks, "What goal is that?"
A sunset-orange entity says, "Gettin you to take a bath."
A black entity says, "I look forward to one of these boxes blowing up in your face."
Navi

Post by Navi »

It does seem like they take a while to break. I've gone through maybe two so far, but I also don't set off the shutter box traps. Then again, I also haven't been picking boxes as heavily. I've picked it back up over the past couple days, and it does seem like it takes a while for the picks themselves to take damage. For a new locksmith this is great because they aren't going to be getting the real good gems, and it'd take a while for the pick to pay for itself. Maybe have the pick take more damage the higher the lock challenge is? Maybe on a factor of 1 to 100, so from ratings 0 to 100 it takes as much damage as it does now, 100 to 200 it's twice as much, 200 to 300 it's three times as much, and so on so forth.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again
Onasaki

Post by Onasaki »

I think Lockpicks should degrade probably faster, I have a copper one on an alt. While I haven't done much in the terms of lockpicking, I would think that with as pliable as copper is it would break sooner. I've also noticed, that I don't think we can repair them? I could be wrong, but I saw some people earlier trying to repair one.

Could it be possible that we could just make lockpicks ourselves? Maybe though, if it was a thing, it would require *both* Locksmith and Metallurgy/Metalworking. Since largely only locksmiths use them, there really isn't a huge market for them in the first place. So maybe we don't need to sell them from NPCs? *shrug* Maybe a bad idea.

I also noticed Tension bars don't degrade fast either.
I have two forces by my side,
One's the truth and one's a lie,
Which one's which I cannot tell,
This enigma is my hell.

Baako leads you over to the grass to graze.
Rokal

Post by Rokal »

I can attest that a coper lockpick I put to use started showing wear after 10 boxes, and by 20 was damaged.

It can vary though, tougher boxes take longer, and as time ticks while picking, causes the pick to degrade more.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

You asked for it - lockpicks now degrade a tad quicker. Let me know if it feels more reasonable now.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO