Artifice updates

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Artifice updates

Post by Rias »

Some updates to practitioners of Artifice!

First of all, the PALM command is now available to anyone with the Artifice skill (used to require an ability). PALM can be used to try and sneakily get, put, or drop small items without others in the room noticing. Success is based on the character's Artifice skill versus any observers' skill in Artifice and Perception.

Second of all the new SLEIGHT command can now be used to perform some sleight of hand tricks. Right now, the only available subset of sleight of hand tricks is Vanish - your typical "Hey look what I'm holding in my hand - oh now it's gone, where did it go?" Additional types of Vanish tricks will become available as a character increases their Artifice skill. Again, success based on the character's Artifice skill versus the Artifice and Perception of observers. These tricks can be performed as long as you are holding a tiny-sized item in hand, or have some riln on you to use for the trick, and are simply for entertainment purposes. It doesn't actually move the involved item anywhere, it stays in your hand (or riln in your riln container) the whole time.

Both of the above activities give a little bit of Artifice skill practice, but have diminishing returns that refreshes after about 10 minutes. This is so people don't just script doing these things over and over constantly for practice. Instead, they uh ... script it for several repetitions, wait ten minutes, and then repeat. Bleh. It's not the most ideal solution to preventing completely boring, uninteresting means of skill practice, but it works for now.

Coming soon is the Cards subset of sleight of hand options, but I need to do a little more research on card tricks before I have enough option ideas to put in there.

Any other ideas for applications of the Artifice skill, and means of practicing it? Post them here.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO