Skinning/Butchering Ideas

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Agelity

Skinning/Butchering Ideas

Post by Agelity »

While butchering a fox for some sinew I found myself lopping through all of its meat before I could reach what I wanted, which lead me to thoughts on ways to give extra skinning bonuses depending on skill level, or even as a hunting specific passive ability:

1) The higher the skill the less energy it will ultimately cost to skin/butcher, and perhaps a touch faster. A knowledgeable hunter will be well-practiced and likely more efficient!
2) Beyond a certain threshold (100-200 skill?) a hunter may be able to target specific locations to butcher/skin, perhaps as a way to save on carving out 40 chunks of meat from an elk to reach certain portions.
3) Higher skill = higher quality parts (which can be used to make higher quality tools, weapons, food, etc.)
4) High skill = higher quantity of parts. A novice hunter may only be able to lob off 30 chunk of meat, but a skilled hunter may be able to collect 40 pieces of fine cuts.

Regarding the second point, I suspect part of the ordering is related to the fact that you'll probably need to butcher some degree of meat away from a corpse before getting access to other parts, but I'm curious if higher degrees of skill may be able to make it easier to access certain parts (ie, 15 pieces of meat need to be removed to access sinew, 30 for bones, etc.). Allows a skilled hunter to make sure that they don't need to absolutely mangle every piece to obtain what they want, as they perhaps know how to work their way around certain body parts.

Maybe a tie in to some medical skill bonus (or vice-versa) if there's some general anatomy affinity or something? Given the difference in humanoid vs huntable game physiques I'm not sure of the best way to go about it, but a surgeon probably has at least some base knowledge in cutting into a creature, even if the specific application is a little more specialized.

I imagine some of this may very well be implemented and that my skill might not be that high to notice, but it could be a good way to have some hunters invest a bit more into their skinning skill to make sure they're able to get what they want from their hard-earned prize.
Rias
DEV

Re: Skinning/Butchering Ideas

Post by Rias »

Being able to specify what you want to go for is definitely a good idea. I believe you can already do that with skinning, so why not butchering, right? To-doed.

Good skill range suggestions, too.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO